+ Reply to Thread

Thread: support beam

Default support beam

I bought an old home a few years ago. I got an inspection and he never mentioned the problems. I am a first time home owner and there are things I didn't notice tell now.
    the roof is sagging because they took out a support beam when they joined two rooms. I can not afford to install a support beam. Can I just rebuild the wall to fix the problem?
    The foundation is also damaged from this. The north foundation wall is bowing out. If I hire someone to jack the house up and put it back on its blocks.. it needs this done in 3 places .. will that be enough to keep the foundation wall from bowing out more and eventually falling over?
    thank you so much for your help.

Default Re: support beam

Unfortunately none of your questions can be accurately answered without the advise of a engineer or at least a experienced framer. Even for an opinion from anybody here lots of pictured would be needed, try uploading them to a sharing site and linking them here.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

The foundation wall bowing out doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the roof. You need some expert on site advice to figure out the problems.

You need the advice of a framing contractor to see your home in person.

Sorry to hear about this but its time to spend some money before you have larger problems.

"I got an inspection and he never mentioned the problems"

- Unfortunately, most inspectors today do very shallow inspections for the kind on money they charge. It's the same old "get more by giving less".

As for your other questions, like was said before, there is no way to answer them with the info we have here.

Default thank you

thank you everyone