+ Reply to Thread

Wink strengthening the floor to accept tile

my sub-floor consists of 3/8 inch wafer board.and the house is on a busy street(the FREEWAY,TURNPIKE) every day the house shutters due to semi's,dump trucks,belly dumpers etc. comparable to a 3.5 earthquake.I am figuring on bracing up the floor joists to reduce movement there,adding 1/4 plywood on the subfloor and cement board before tiling.will this hopefully be enough to again reduce the movement?all rooms adjacent to bathrooms will have 3/4 inch hardwood . I am trying to avoid a real big difference in the levels of flooring

Default Re: strengthening the floor to accept tile

Natilie,

1/4" plywood isn't good for tile as a substrate under any conditions. You'll be best served by heading over to the John Bridge Tile Forum where you can use their 'deflecto meter' to see if your floors can handle tile. While there you can get speedy advice on all phases of your tiling and remodeling project.

I don't know where you got the 3.5 earthquake figure from, but living right next to the freeway will get your house vibrate a lot, enough to cause damages to tiles and grout.

If the area to be tiled is resting on joists, you'll probably need to beef them up. Do the calculations as Houston suggests and take the necessary steps to do so.

Your new subfloor should be better and thicker than 1/4". Don't be so concerned about the finish grade of your tile floor where it meets existing hardwood, because you will use a reducer to go from one floor to the other.

Same here, “1/4" plywood isn't good for tile as a substrate under any conditions”

What i have now is 3/8 inch wafer board over the joists.i plan on adding cross members to joists(what i call them) to reduce side movement etc.then add over the existing wafer board 1/4 inch plywood and cement board before tilling. And the 3.5 tremors from traffic is just a estimate. Heavy trucks cause this house to shake alot ..will actually wake you up sometimes

Hmmmmm,,,,,what size floor joist do you have and what is the span?
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content