+ Reply to Thread

Question Can I manually start my sump pump?

I'm doing my quarterly sump pump checkup and I'm wondering if there is a way to manually start up my RIDGID SP-330D, so I can be sure it's working. I've tried running a garden hose, but the water leave the well, into the surrounding ground, faster than it takes for the sump's diaphragm to activate.

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Erik
    Tewksbury, MA

Default Re: Can I manually start my sump pump?

You can always put it in a bucket of water. You might be able to push up on on the diaphragm through the bottom holes.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You could unplug the float switch by unplugging the piggyback electrical cord,pull off the back plug and plug it into the outlet directly for a few seconds to see if the pump kicks in but this test will not tell you if the float is working.To test the float you should just pull out the pump and test it in a large bucket or trash can.Of course you want to unplug it before doing any work on it.

I think I ever had a sump system, I'd install it with a 3 position switch. "Off-Auto-Manual". Then wire the float switch so it only interrupts the pump in auto, or rather the manual setting bypasses the float switch. Even fancier would be pilot lights. one shows that there is power to the pump, the 2nd shows if the float switch is made and the pump should be running.

Like others have said, you'll have to pull it.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll give them a shot next time I'm doing a sump checkup. Any idea as to how much inches of water should be in the well before the sump goes on?

Thanks,
    Erik