+ Reply to Thread

Default maintaining a flowing stream

Hi
    My daughter and son in law have a stream in their backyard. It is approx 3 feet wide, 2 feet deep and 90 feet long. About 1/3 is flowing ok but 2/3 is backedup by debris. I know we must remove all roots, mud and all debris. My question is how do we maintain a clean and good flowing stream. The backed up portion is slowing seaping into the main yard. Do we use landscaping fabric, tubing, stone? I do not have any pictures. Thank you for any help you can give us.

Hi Again
    I'm new to this. I do not know if i should edit my first question or post a reply. So I am doing both.
    Sorry for the confusion. They bought the house about 3 or 4 years ago.
    It is an actural stream that flows in many back yards in their neighborhood. From the top of the their street to the end is about a mile. It collects rain water and at the end of the street flows into a bigger stream and onto the ocean. We do not us it to put debris in. Over the years trees and brush have grown on one side of the stream and now it needs cleaning. I know we must remove the trees, brush and all debris to get a god flow. But my question is how do we maintain a good flow after we clean it our. Do we put down landscaping fabric liner to help seaping water back into the stream? Do we put in a pipe that has holes in it to help maintain the flow? Do we put rocks in to help hold the liner and pipe in place? How big can the rocks be one foot in diameter, 2 feet in diameter. We are trying to save money so we do not want to buy stone. We want to use what we have just laying around. Any suggestions will be appreaciated.
    Last edited by oldrookie; 03-17-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: to answer the questions previousl;y asked

Default Re: maintaining a flowing stream

Not quite sure I follow what you're describing.

Do you actually have a stream or is it more of a "reservoir" for water to collect and dissipate over time? If the water is in a captive ditch with no inlet/outlet, then you're talking about a reservoir for runoff to collect in.

If indeed there is an inlet/outlet to this ditch, then clean the outlet so that water flows as it should.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

What Spruce said plus; stop throwing stuff in the creek.

If it is a stream, your first stop needs to be at the county soil and water board. You need a permit to make changes.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by oldrookie View Post
    Hi
    My daughter and son in law have a stream in their backyard. It is approx 3 feet wide, 2 feet deep and 90 feet long. About 1/3 is flowing ok but 2/3 is backedup by debris. I know we must remove all roots, mud and all debris. My question is how do we maintain a clean and good flowing stream. The backed up portion is slowing seaping into the main yard. Do we use landscaping fabric, tubing, stone? I do not have any pictures. Thank you for any help you can give us.
    Hello
    Sorry for the confusion. They bought the house about 3 years ago. It is an actual stream that flows in many back yards in their neighborhood. From the top of their street to the end is about a mile. It collects rain water and at the end of the street flows into a bigger stream and onto the ocean. We do not use it to put debris in. Over the years trees and brush have grown on one side of the stresm and now it needs cleaning. I know we must remove the trees, brush and all deabris to get a good flow. But my question is how do I maintain a good flow after we clean it out. Do I put down a fabric liner to help seaping water back into the stream? Do I put in a pipe with holes in it to help maintain the flow? Do I put rocks in to help hold the liner and pipe in place? How big can the rocks be a foot in diameter, 2 feet in diameter. We are trying to save money so we do not want to buy stone. We want to use what we have just laying around. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Again, you need to talk to the county soil and water people as well as the building department flood plane management. You have to have approval to make changes to a flowing stream, or adding bank stabilization. A material used must be approved. In some cases a permit and inspection by the Corp of Engineers is required. Just doing it can end up costing a lot of money to correct.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

What you are trying to achieve is still unclear.

I think that what jlmcdaniel is explaining to you is that you can't interfere and alter a natural flow of a stream without a permit from the right authority.

However, IMO, trimming trees and removing branches and debris is not interfering with the flow of a stream. If you are worried about erosion or damage to your property, then you contact the building dept or Corps of Engineers. As long as the stream is not threatening your home, why do even question this?

Regarding placing large rocks and boulders, you can consult with your building dept, if you feel that the sream is a threat. Pretty much like placing sandbags to prevent floods.

I would start by simply clearing the brush within the main flow channel of the stream and leave the bank material alone. If you have a "high water" line, remove the brush to that point. Any vegetation that you can leave will help to keep the soil stable.

I would not alter or add anything to the channel until you are certain that it is needed. Just clearing the blockages will probably restore proper flow. If more work is necessary, as Jack has said, you should consult with the governing body first. If this is a municipal waterway, then they will be charged with maintaining it, not the private owner.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!