+ Reply to Thread

Default Leaky Bath Window

Hello,
    We are having a problem with our bath window leaking. We had replacement windows put in a few years ago. Ever since then, our bath window leaks. The insulation around the window is soaked. The sill and quarter round going around the window showed water spots. That's how we found out it was leaking. On the outside portion of the house, there are ice sickles hanging from the bottom portion of the bath window. There are also ice sickles coming down the siding of the house from where the exhaust vent is and the attic vent. We thought it might be the warm moist air coming from the bath meeting the cold air outside and causing the window to leak, or the insulation to get soaked. We don't know though. Can anybody please help us. Wallside Windows pulled the window again, only to tell us that it's not the window itself leaking. Please help me. We live in Michigan where it's really cold right now.
    Michelle

Default Re: Leaky Bath Window

Where does your bathroom exhaust fan dump it's load of warm moist air?

Inside the attic space perhaps?

That is a no-no and could easily cause what you report. The fan needs to dump its load to the great out-of-doors.

Any heat ducts up there in that attic? Uninsulated, poorly insulated or leaky heat ducts can also cause this sort of problem.

Wink Re: Leaky Bath Window

I agree with ****hiller, check anything exhausting above the window. I would also talk with the fellow that was the leader of the crew that re-installed the window. He stated the window wasn't leaking, but what did he find when he took the window out. Was there wet lumber from above the window, he had to have found something to determine it wasn't a window problem! Good Luck.

Calcats

Thanks for the response. The exhaust fan for the bathroom dumps the moist air to the outside of the house, not in the attic. There is an exhaust vent out there and my husband just replaced the exhaust pipe with an insulated one (4 inch) to run to the outside of the house. But it's still leaking. We are thinking of having a company come out to do a thermal image of that side of the house so we can pinpoint the problem. They also do a water test. Pretty expensive, but they said they will find the problem.

We had replacement windows put in a few years ago.

Windows....plural? Sorry, but I missed that in your OP as well as your comments about the vent fan. Duh on me.

If so, was there also a window replaced maybe directly above this "leaking" bathroom window?

If so, that's where I'd be looking next, I think (if you believe the report that the bathroom window is properly installed or inspected it for yourself when they came to check it out). If improperly installed, water could easily enter at an upper window, sneak behind the sheathing (thru a seam) and then evidence itself down at the window below.

And/or......Is the exhaust vent located near a vented soffit to the attic space? If so, then water vapor could easily get sucked up into this vented soffit where it contacts the cold air of the attic, condenses out and then makes its way down thru the wall and appears at the bathroom window. However, if everything was mounted the same in the past & the window in question didn't leak then......I'd still be more suspicious of either the new windows themselves or how they were installed.

Another possibility comes to mind - Is this bathroom exhaust fan effective? IOW, does it remove the moist warm air as it should...or does your mirror still steam up, etc? What I'm thinking is that if the fan isn't truly effective and the window installers didn't get things buttoned up nice and tight on the inside of the wall (or adequately and carefully reinsulate the voids) .........moist air may be migrating inside the wall and condensing there......rendering the apprearance of an external window leak or a leak coming from above. If the fan isn't truly effective, make sure it has ample make-up air. Usually/frequently requires cutting the door to the room a little shorter.

Out of curiosity - What type of siding on the house? Any chance of a couple pics of that side of the house?
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-09-2009 at 05:30 PM.

I agree with ****hiller, check anything exhausting above the window. I would also talk with the fellow that was the leader of the crew that re-installed the window. He stated the window wasn't leaking, but what did he find when he took the window out. Was there wet lumber from above the window, he had to have found something to determine it wasn't a window problem! Good Luck. But try this....