+ Reply to Thread

Default tom silvas drill/driver

hi...does anyone know what kind of 12v drill/driver tom silva uses on the show ??

Default Re: tom silvas drill/driver

He usually uses a Festool.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If you are talking about the one with the LED that lights up when the trigger is pulled, it looks just like a Porter Cable Lithium Ion model, but I think that it as an 18 volt model, not 12 volt. Porter Cable is one of the show's sponsors.

The drill used in older shows was a 24 volt model I think. I would imagine that batteries for it are getting hard to come by now. Since batteries only have a 2-3 year life span, there is nothing like changing the design of the battery to make a perfectly good tool obsolete.

in the newer episodes tommy has been using the new compact 12v dewalt drills. he has used pc in the past and has a large selection of festool gear.

i believe the reason hes been using more dewalt lately is do to stanley tool corp is a huge supporter of toh, and since stanley bought black and decker a few years back it would explain it
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    ....Since batteries only have a 2-3 year life span, there is nothing like changing the design of the battery to make a perfectly good tool obsolete.
    A bulls-eye truth here. When I decided to consolidate all my cordless tools to one brand and voltage which could use Li-Ion batteries I thought about that. Needing a large variety of heavy-duty tools narrowed the field down quickly as many styles didn't have the variety. Most of them used a specific battery. As I pondered DeWalt came out with their 18V Li-Ion battery as a direct replacement for the older NiMH batteries so I could keep all of my existing DeWalt tools. There may be better tools, but these are good tools and I support a company that thinks this way about it's current tool owners.

The companies who wanted me to buy all new tools just to take advantage of the new technology now have a strike against them. I won't even consider those companies unless their tools are vastly superior (most aren't) or are exceedingly cheap (Li-Ion never is). Here a few years later it seems hey are playing catch-up with DeWalt- for me at least they've got a long way to go.

Phil

phil.. what about makita and milwaukee they were the ones that came out with lith ion originally which was roughly 3 years before dewalt did. makita has had far less issues with their lith ion tech than dewalt also and to boot i believe they have the biggest selection of cordless tools

Makita power tools are my favorites. Now I don't use them as I once did, but they're a step ahead of the competition.

And the teal color makes them more attractive...

yup. gotta love the teal. or blue.. no black and yellow for me

makita are also the ones who brought brushless motors in cordles drills to the masses.. festool started it,, then makita.. milwaukee and dewalt is following

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    phil.. what about makita and milwaukee they were the ones that came out with lith ion originally which was roughly 3 years before dewalt did. makita has had far less issues with their lith ion tech than dewalt also and to boot i believe they have the biggest selection of cordless tools
    When I made my decision Makita had a very limited line of high-power cordless tools of any kind, and Milwaukee had even fewer. I was on the cordless bus long before most folks were and IIRC, Makita and Hitachi LIon batteries would not fit their existing tool line when they introduced them- you had to buy new tools to use those new batteries. Hitachi quickly deleted their new tool line and made LIon batteries that fit the old tools, snazzing them up to match the snazzy new batteries and Makita did the same thing too. At least that is how I recall things way back then.

BTW, my first DeWalt cordless tools were a set including a 5 3/8 circular saw (nobody else made one of these back then), a 1/2" drill, two batteries and a charger. Just over $500 after tax at the HD box store on sale and a heck of a lot of money about 20 years ago- that's like spending twice that or more today with inflation factored in!

As to which tools are best, all I can say is that my DeWalts do every job I put them to quite well. They do not get babied but are rode hard when that is called for. Only for the toughest all-day jobs do I pull out a corded tool anymore. My first DeWalt drill went 19 years before it needed brushes- a few bucks and a few minutes to replace those- and I used it to good effect last week. I can't ask for more than that kind of service life. And when I can afford the upgrade all I need is LIon batteries and their correct charger to bring me totally up-to-date once again.

That was my main point here. When the other companies introduced LIon batteries, they didn't fit your old tools, or they had too limited a tool line but DeWalt's LIon batteries always fit from the start and they had twice as many tools to choose from as anyone else did back when I began to go cordless. It is that kind of attitude I applaud, one which shows you truly think about your professional customers, and DeWalt led the way in this. Maybe they aren't the best at everything today but to replace the 18V DeWalt cordless tools I have with Makita or Milwaukee would cost me well over $3000 so it ain't gonna happen. Had those companies offered me an alternative when they had the chance, well maybe it would be different here today- but it isn't like that and I'm not missing much of anything because of my choice. These are good tools and a great value for your money.

Just my long-experienced (and not always humble) opinion!

Phil