+ Reply to Thread

Default Deck on a slab home

I have a slab home with a family room on the back with a door wall. I want to install a deck outside the door wall. The ground is about 6" lower than the family room floor. What is the proper footing for a deck under these conditions? Can the footings and joist be underground in p-gravel? Any ideas Please

Default Re: Deck on a slab home

in this situation. a deck at grade is sometimes accepted by building authorities.. all you have to do is allow for really good drainage so the framing material isnt sitting directly in puddles which will accelerate rot
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Let me just add this to jkirk's answer: check with your local building department for their specific requirements before you invest time any money.

I would also check to see if the deck need to be attached to the house. Whenever possible I like to leave a gap between the two so termites and rot are stopped cold.

I actually had such a deck at my old home in Chicago. The joists were in full contact with the ground which I had trenched out a little and back filled with pea gravel. The joists were attacked to pressure treated posts mounted down below frost level. It was not actually attached to the house, but appeared to be. It was mounted at the same level as my house floor level so as to look like an extension of the house floor when viewed from the inside.

There are multiple grades of pressure treated wood. You will want that which is rated for full ground contact. That deck was there for 25 years and still in great shape when I sold it several years ago. One thing for sure, you don't have worry about such a deck collapsing!

ordjen, were the posts put below the frost line in concrete? What about the draining water from under the deck?

joesann,

Yes, the posts were set in concrete.
    There was a wooden walk along most of the back of the house which was integral to the deck. The gravel under it acted as a drain to the lower grade level at the side of the house. Drainage was never a problem.