+ Reply to Thread

Question Replacing windows in brick wall

My house has full height exterior brick. I want to replace the windows but I'm concerned that the brick will make that difficult. Will some of the brick have to be removed to replace the windows or is the brick not an issue?

Default Re: Replacing windows in brick wall

Welcome to the Funway! What you'll want here is "Replacement windows" that replace the moving sashes while leaving the wooden frame in place. Thus you won't have to disturb the brick at all.

Phil

Phil is correct providing you have the classic wooden framed windows. If you have metal framed windows, then the metal frames will have to be removed by crushing the window. In either case, the brick is undisturbed.

Are you planning to widen your windows, if not so…than the bricks remain undisturbed.

hello,this post is really wonderful....it's really very intersting and informative....keep sharing....
    There are many affordable Hidden Content that people can make use of to overcome alcoholism. Those that are run by non-governmental organizations and the government owned ones tend to be cheaper than those of private investors.

Yes, the windows are metal (aluminum) framed. Will the sheet rock on the inside have to be disturbed?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_clem View Post
    Yes, the windows are metal (aluminum) framed. Will the sheet rock on the inside have to be disturbed?
    No, not if using a retrofit window. The new window is measured to fit the existing window frame opening. When it arrives, you pull the glass and any internal framework out of the opening, leaving the perimeter intact. The new window will then attach over the old frame and be caulked into place.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Question Re: Replacing windows in brick wall

This information has been very helpful to me as well...

ALL the windows in our house get condensation very badly in the winter. Moisture has window frames etc. rotting and molding. We've been using the plastic wrap every winter and that has helped alot but know it's time to truly fix the problem.
    Our house is also all brick.
    My question is in regards to the frames.
    Since they are so badly water damaged, I really think they need to go too. Will our house being brick affect this work?
    REALLY do now know what I am in for but know it will be expensive. Husband says with brick its far more complicated. Would like some ammo to talk him into just getting this done! Please help!