+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Thin hairline cracks in Plaster Paris - how to fix?

I am just learning how to be a handy-person. I have patched the nail holes in the plaster using some CGC compound, sanding and then reapplying (for far 5 times). I know it is overkill, but again I am just learning.
    I have noticed some hairline cracks in both the ceiling and the walls. How should I go about fixing this? Do I need to buy that mesh stuff? Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Thin hairline cracks in Plaster Paris - how to fix?

Hairline cracks can be fixed without that "mesh stuff".

You will need to enlarge the cracks just a little bit, using a utility knife, so that the plaster of paris mix that you will prepare for that will go in the wider cracks. You can apply the mix with a brush or with your fingers (it's a lot of fun, but wear thin gloves). Let dry, then sand lightly. IMHO, some very thin and barely visible cracks are not worth messing with.

thank you so much for the reply!
    I have the pre-mixed Plaster paris, so I hope that is ok. And I bought the TAPE rather than the mesh - the store associate talked me into it, so I also hope that isn't a problem.

UPDATE:
    Well I tried the tape - and not being a professional, it shows way too much. I stripped the tape off and I am just going to use filler in the cracks for now until I know more.
    Last edited by netrate; 03-15-2012 at 12:17 PM.

The problems that accrue to using patching plaster by far outweigh the very slight speed advantage/ 1) no chemical bond to the underlying lime plaster browncoat, or the lime & gauging whitecoat. It will hold only by a mechanical bond.
    2) No tensile strength.

So I recommend either patching with lime & gauging, over mesh tape (for tensile strength), and prime the cracks with a bonding agent (Link or Plasterweld); Or use setting-type mud (Durabond 90) and again, spray, roll or sponge a bonding agent into the cracks to seal and prep the repair so you get a decent shot at a strong bond. Once you gat a coat of Durabond on the repair, you can finis skimming with regular green-lid drywall mud, or trowel on some Easysand 45 (like Durabond only a bit more sandable) to feather it out. In a wet area, (bathrooms) stick with Lime & Gauging or Durabond, they are more forgiving of moisture.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I would agree with Sombreuil to use a Lime / Gauging mix.
    Plaster of Paris would set very fast and be to hard also could set with very little bond to the existing plaster.
    A good mixture would be about 7 parts Lime & 1 part guaging.
    And if you want it to set faster add about 1/2 part Moulding Plaster ( Plaster of Paris ),

Thank you for the reply. Again, being new at this, I am sure that I am making more mistake than are necessary.
    I didn't read this until today and I had already patched the cracks using CGC compound. I know that this is not Link or Plasterweld, so at least it is only one room that I will have the issue in the future. A question though, will the plaster shift from the seasons? Since I patched it, it is good for a while, or will the cracks just show again in the future and I will have to use the Plasterweld or Link?
    Would this work:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
    Last edited by netrate; 03-18-2012 at 05:01 PM.