+ Reply to Thread

Default Time for a pro???

The 2" waste pipe that serves our kitchen (two sinks) and clothes washer has a clog (and I am fairly certain the clog is somewhere under the slab) . I have tried pushing a 25' snake through it. This is the snake I used http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/K26-Hand...r/EN/index.htm That did improve the situation...but has not entirely resolved it. The line is still backing up...it just takes longer. Are there other methods a dope like me could try? Do chemical treatments actually work? Are there more aggressive snake devices?

I know a pro would probably send a camera down there to figure out where the problem lays....but how do they go about clearing it that is different than what I tried? Is it worth the cost for me to invest in some better tool?

What do folks think of sewer jetters like Clog Hog? I have a pressure washer so that might be an option. At $100 is it worth the investment?

Thanks for any help given.
    Last edited by waltdeckhouse; 03-13-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added question

Default Re: Time for a pro???

I'd say go rent yourself a 100' power snake. It has a larger cutting head and longer reach which should be able to remove the blockage completely. If that doesn't work, then think about hiring a pro with a camera.

While you're clearing the clog, pay attention to how deep you have to go to get to it, this will give you a clue of where you'll need to break the slab should you decide you need to do something more aggressive.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Well I will tell you what we would do in your scenario I would take out my Spartan 100 machine and clear the drain but considering this machine costs over $1400+ dollars may not be the best option for you now if you rent a machine from home depot or somewhere make sure that it isn't a mainline machine those machines generally are too big to go in a 2" pipe and can bust pipes and do more damage.

OPTIONS:

1: Rent a power snake

2: If you let the drain empty for several hours to let all the water in the pipe drain you could try chemical like Sulfuric Acid which stinks terribly but if you treated it and let it sit over night it will eat thru potato peels etc.. (not good for old pipes but 1 time won't destroy them unless they already are worn out) or you could use a product called Thrift and dump it in with cold water let it drain off then turn on hot water and the hot water will activate the product at the clog (works good on hair and not real bad for pipes)

3: You could try a drain king or drain bladder that hooks on the end of a garden hose it builds up pressure and forces water thru the clog to clear it (but if it doesn't clear it and builds up enough pressure you could have a pool in your kitchen) Also only use a good garden hose if you do this not one that has a repair end last thing you want is this thing stuck in the drain.

4: the option you spoke of putting the jetting on the end of your pressure washer but most of those things aren't built very good and on your pressure washer and break the tip and that end up in the drain not a good idea.

5: Hire a plumber and expect about $179+ for a reputable company to clear it I have seen some places who do it for $99 but generally they aren't plumbers because most states you don't have to be licensed to clear drains also they don't use as good of equipment thus not doing as good of job there could be a lot of build up and require real jetting equipment and that cost more but ultimately it depends does this happen all the time? first time? etc... whats being put down the drains? Avoid rice, noodles, potatoes and anything that is hard and then once boiled goes soft it becomes sticky in the pipes and everything sticks to it plus it expands and then dries out hard very hard to get out of pipes.

Ben's Plumbing
    100 E Center St, Provo, UT 84604
    (801) 850-9087 ‎

Thanks to everyone for this input. I decided to rent a power snake and have at it. I think the problem lay just beyond where the pipe went under the slab and the powered snake seemed to get through it. I decided to run all 75 feet of the snake through the pipe while I was there. I should have left well enough alone...as the cutter tip came off somewhere in the pipe. The pipe still drains well so I can't complain. Just wish that stupid arrow head thing had stay attached. I guess a year or two from now I will hire a pro when a new clog forms where that tip is sitting :0)

I have to say...it is a joyous event when a clog gets cleared. All the problems we have had with the island sink gurgling, the washing machine not draining, etc...all gone.

Thanks again for the help.

-Walt

Keep this in mind for the future. Most DIY'r snakes merely corkscrew themselves through a clog, they don't clear it. It takes a more powerful snake to actually blast it out of the way.

If you're lucky, the lost tip of the snake will flush itself out of the pipe and not be the source of another clog.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hi Spruce!

If this pipe clogs again I think I will probably hire someone to get it done right. I get the vision of an restriction in the pipe and I just bored a slightly larger hole through it. Still...if it works for a couple years I will be happy. When the island sink starts gurgling again I will know right away what the issue is.

BTW...does ****hiller ever come around anymore? I am about to embark on another large (for me) project...and was thinking of starting a thread with it. I think the kitchen cabinet thread is long dead

-Walt

When you use those small DIY snakes, yes, you're usually only boring a hole through the clog and not removing it. With a professional snake, the clog should have been pretty well taken care of, especially if you worked the snake back and forth a few times. I always follow a good snaking with a large forceful quantity of water to help flush away the debris and the remnants of the clog. If the clog had a lot of grease in it I will run hot water to help remove the grease.

The Go-lden one has not been around for a few years and has not responded to email. I hope all is well with him. We miss him around here.

You're right, your cabinet thread died when TOH changed to this current forum software and they were not able to transfer it. That is unfortunate because that was a great thread with a ton of info in it, it would be nice to be able to refer to it as the need arises.

How did that blind project work out? Get all the mechanics to cooperate?

hopefully the spear head doesn't cause future problems there is a nifty little way to get it out but you may want to leave it to a pro basically in tells a small bag a small cable or rope attached to the bag fill it with water attach a second rope short by the bag maybe a couple inches long with a small powerful magnet now feed the bag into the drain and fill it with water with a hose and keep putting water in the drain as the rope feeds out and your past length of the cable turn off water wait a bit and slowly pull back the rope or cable and retrieve the blade on the magnet I have done this several times on retrieving on the good machines there is a blade that looks like a spring for pushing or grabbing objects but its not easy to perform and not very successful unless the length is long enough to hit city sewer then you can push it the whole way hope this helps.

Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine
    304 Meadowlark Drive, Alpine, UT 84004
    (801) 960-1567 ‎
    www.benfranklinplumbingalpine.com

Hiring a plumber is a good option and should be used if you are facing a lot of confusion in fixing the leak. Don't try to repair the leak by yourself just to save a little money as you can mess it up and land up doing more damage. The professional plumbers are well trained to carry out any kind of repair and have a vast experience in this field. So one should leave the complex leaks to be repaired by the professionals only.