+ Reply to Thread

Default screw pops due to bad insulation?

A few years ago we had the attic insulation replaced with blown in cellulose insulation. All of a sudden we have screw pops in almost every room of the house and the corners in some of the rooms are cracking too. The house is about 40 years old. Why would this be happening now? Could it be the insulation after a few years?

Thumbs up Re: screw pops due to bad insulation?

Howdy. First how much insulation? # of "s

How far apart are the ceiling joists? Is it a truss roof system?
    Do you live where its is winter - like snow hanging on the roof?

So if the joists are 24" on center apart and you had R38 or more blowing then the weight if a 1/2" drywall can do just what you are describing.

Roof leaks an cellulose - water is soaked up and heavy can also cause this problem.

Truss with a heavy snow load can casue deflection problem like this too.

clear as mud is it not?
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Default Re: screw pops due to bad insulation?

The joist are 24" apart. It is a truss roof. The insulation is an approx R70. I hope there are no roof leaks, there are no signs of any.

Oh, and the drywall is 5/8"

Opppsss , R70 an 24 on center = popped screws. The truss move in response to wind and snow load this will causes the cracking. Finehome building Mag has great video, on their web page, about how not to screw the rock at ceilings to allow it to float to avoid cracking. So what to do now- I'd add additional screws to the ceiling to help hold it up an use a good white caulk at the cracks as it gives better then drywall mud. Would likely go up and remove some of the insulation from the attic too.
    Last edited by Timothy Miller; 03-15-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typos
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Thank you! :/

You are welcome. Hope it all works out good for you.