+ Reply to Thread

Default Low water pressure in 2nd bath

I recently replaced a 50 gallon electric water heater with an 80 gallon, and at the same time, added a water softener next to the heater. I have since noticed that I have very low water pressure in the second bath (farthest away from the water heater). It is low pressure on both hot and cold and seems to only be in the bath faucet. The sink faucet seems to have good pressure. Also, all other faucets in the house seem to not be affected (no drop in pressure noticed). I moved the water softener valve to "bypass" to see if this would help, but it didn't seem to. As far as pipes, everything is copper.

Not exactly sure what to do at this point. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Low water pressure in 2nd bath

You could have blockages in both hot and cold leading to the bath faucet in the far bathroom.

Depending on the type of faucet you have, shut the main off, remove the faucet and inspect the lines. Look for objects that broke off, twisted rubber washers, debris and general junk in the lines. Also check the shower head, it could be dirty. Reassemble and test. report back.

I will tell you what I would do
    1: Did you turn the water off at a shutoff old gate valve? or ball valve? or meter? check make sure turned all the way on could be bad gate valve washer is blocking flow or maybe meter isn't on all the way try moving it a little.

2: Pressure Reducing valve by the shut off if you have one try turning it up a little loosen back nut and turn the outer in clockwise (it's nice to have a pressure gauge you can hook to faucet or fixture to know what you turn it up to and to see if it is working)

3: what size pipes going to and out of the softener? and how big is the home how many baths etc. could be undersized.

The bathtub takes more pressure to operate than faucets so you would notice a pressure problem there and most faucets operate on such low pressure you wouldn't notice a pressure drop.

4: always could be a clogged tub cartridge or valve etc.. without a pressure reading etc.. you will never know.

Orem Benjamin Plumbing
    153 N Garden Park Orem UT, Orem, UT 84057
    (801) 960-1565 ‎ benfranklinplumbingorem.com

Thanks guys. The water lines from the main line to the softener and water heater are all 3/4 copper. I will have someone replace the shutoff valve on the main line by the water heater. I've had trouble with that valve in the past where it would leak a little when you turned it off and then back on. I had my plumber guy tighten the nut on the valve a little and it seemed to stop. Do you think it would be best to just replace that valve? For the small price of a valve, I would think it would be worth a shot.

Again, thanks for the input.