+ Reply to Thread

Default Stamped Concrete

I have heard about two different coloring methods for a stamped concrete patio. The first involves mixing the coloring into the concrete while the concrete is being mixed for use and then pouring the colored concrete. The second involves applying the coloring to the concrete surface after the regular (non-colored) concrete has been poured. Thoughts as to which method is better? Thank you.

Default Re: Stamped Concrete

I've always had good results in mixing the dye powder right into the concrete.

The obvious advantage of mixing color into the cement itself is that should the cement be damaged, the color will still be showing. It the color is merely topical, a chip or spalling will expose the gray of the underlying cement.

Ditto the above, always mix the color in if at all possible. And if you DIY don't get any of the powder on you- Work upwind of this stuff! The oils of your skin will activate it and you'll find what 'permanent' means as you take a few weeks to wear the colored skin away. Please don't ask how I know

Phil