+ Reply to Thread

Default acrylic vs latex?

I will be using Kilz oil based primer on my walls as was recommended to me on here. What kind of paint can I use? Do I have to use an "acrylic" paint or can I use latex?

Also, does anyone have an opinion of whether to use Sherwin Williams or Valspar from Lowes? I get a 25% discount at Sherwin Williams and heard it was good so figured I would go there but have heard good things about Valspar as well plus they have those textured paints I am interested in but I know I can do the work myself with cheesecloths and other techniques if I go with Sherwin.

Default Re: acrylic vs latex?

Kilz is a stain blocking primer and will accept any type of top coat you choose.

Sherwin vs Valspar. They are both good paint, the Sherwin is probably just a tad bit better about thickness and anti-spatter qualities. I've used a lot of both brands and typically used Valspar more because it was more convenient to purchase than Sherwin, which was located in an area of town I rarely traveled. Valspar was also cheaper though that may not be the case for you with your Sherwin discount.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you so much!!! I will definitely use Sherwin Williams. I have one down the street from my house and 25% off is a good deal!!! (It's coz of my place of employment) Thanks again!!!!

I refuse to make comment on paint recommendation, lest I again incur Spruce's wrath!

kschurter, If you want to have a more pleasant priming experience, get Kilz's new odorless oil primer. It costs a couple dollars more, but it is worth it! The Original Kilz really stinks, especially after several hours of constant priming. You will be a little dopey!

Being a little dopey from the fumes makes all that painting worth while.

Add one vote for the SW. But you'll get a very good job either way.

One important note- DO NOT paint the way they show you on those DIY shows, making the big W in the center of the wall. Bad, very bad. First 'cut in' the room all around the edges. Then paint the walls, starting at a corner. Place the roller on the wall about 1/3 up /down. Roller the paint onto the wall one roller wide. The first few rollerings are to get the paint on the wall. Follow up rollerings are to 'massage' the paint onto the surface evenly. This is not a race as that leads to splattering.

Prep work takes much longer than the actual painting.

I have heard that after using oil based primer, Kilz, Cover Stain, or even shellac based primer that it is best to use a painter thinner. My preferred painter thinner is Miller, cleans the mouth out. Also heard that Bud or Coors works well too.
    Last edited by Tacoma John; 03-13-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Tacoma,

You confused me for a moment. "Miller" is a prominent regional brand of paint here in the Pacific-Northwest.