+ Reply to Thread

Default What order do I paint the kitchen?

Need to paint ceilings, walls, cabinets, and will be replacing countertops and assuming lastly, putting in new flooring (vinyl). What order should these things be done in to cause the least problems? Thanks for any help!!!

Default Re: What order do I paint the kitchen?

1 - pulling the countertops.
    2 - paint
    3 - countertops
    4 - floor
    5 - touch up paint.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

This order makes a lot of sense. But what do you think about this order:

1. As spruce said.
    1(a). Have a beer.
    2. As spruce says.
    2(a). Have some beer nuts and beer.

And so on...

DJ, that could work too!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Step 2 can be subdivided;

2A- Prime everything
    2B- Paint ceiling (twice)
    2C- Paint Trim
    2D- walls (twice)

Spruce is right in the order of construction but forgot a few things. Remove floor trim before painting if you are going to replace the floor. The vinyl goes under the trim. Clean walls and cabinets of all grease with tsp. If old paint is oil, prime it, if latex just paint it. The way to tell if oil or latex is to spray 409 on it. Let the 409 sit for a few minutes, wipe the area and feel it. If the paint feels sticky it is latex, if it feels just wet it is oil. Paint ceiling first, walls, cabinets, then trim, but paint the trim before you reinstall it.

I always liked to do as much as possible first, so that it was probable that it would not be damaged by later construction. Such things as priming,painting ceilings, washing those cabinets, etc. Personally, I would rather work over the finished floor. It is relatively easy to protect new flooring. It is very likely that the flooring guy will mess up the new cabinet paint or walls in the process of installing the floors. The moldings can be pre-painted and then "faced off" after they are mounted.

When I occasionally did new construction (which I hated) I would come in early on to prime the drywall, possibly paint the ceilings, and then disappear until everything was done but laying the carpet. Here again, I would rather protect the new floors than come in and find the floor sanders had dust over everything and banged my newly painted walls.

Fortunately, I never had to work directly for the general contractor, although I certainly co-ordinated with him. The new homes I did were for existing customers who were building their dream home. When working directly for the customer who knew my work, I did not have to competively bid with no margin. It also meant I did not have to wait 2 or 3 months to get paid! The customer cut the check, not the general.