+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing what seems to be a sheet of linoleum halfway up my wall...

Hi!

So, we moved into a new home and it came time to make the kitchen appealing to the eye before we actually redo the whole thing in a couple years (money is going toward other things currently)

I peeled off the wallpaper...I found what looks to be a sheet of rubber/plastic tile about 3-4ft up the wall then about 5ft up where the oven sits.

How would I remove it? Just like I would removing a linoleum floor? Its almost flush with the wall (since they plastered the top to make the illusion of smooth under the wallpaper.)

Any idea of the madness that I may meet behind it and what we may need to do?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Removing what seems to be a sheet of linoleum halfway up my wall...

Removing old tiles involves a lot of elbow grease and scr-aping.
    Stubborn vinyl tiles can be removed with ease after you heat them up.

This sounds typical of the early days of linoleum when the stuff was made from ground dinosaur parts. As Dj said, lots of elbow grease, cussing, and second guessing why you thought this was a good idea in the first place.

Haha I am almost 100% sure there will be cussing and regret

But, I always have to try otherwise I will wonder. Here goes nothing, I will try to post before and afters for you guys to see the mess I am diving into here! Any more advice I will take as I am doing this in parts to be sure there isn't complete damage behind the "schtuff"!

Thanks for your help so far!

Here is where a sheetrock overlay may be a good idea! 1/4" sheetrock can be laid over everything, the base, window, and door moldings furred out an equal amount, and once finished it will look like new sheetrock without removing anything underneath.

Before embarking on that wildly, assess your sheetrock finishing skills as there will be the usual amount of that. Around here a lot of Drywall companies will do all but the carpentry so cheaply that I don't mess with it anymore- I can't beat them at their job! If you go this way some Drywall people prefer to flat-tape right up to the the existing moldings. I would recommend against that; go ahead and pull the moldings and it will look a lot better when you're done and it actually makes the finishing job a lot easier too.

Phil