+ Reply to Thread

Default Newly painted kitchen cabinets, do I???

When we moved to this house, there were nice, custom built, oak kitchen cabinets. However, I loved the new cream cabinets in our other house. We decided to paint these a cream. We cleaned, deglossed, and painted these. They are dry now, but not sure whether or not they need a sealer or a clear coat put on them. Could you help?

Default Re: Newly painted kitchen cabinets, do I???

If you used a good semi-gloss paint there is no need to seal them. Just becareful, all paint needs 30 days to cure. During this time the doors and draws can seal themselves shut. Leave them open just a little bit and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma John View Post
    If you used a good semi-gloss paint there is no need to seal them. Just becareful, all paint needs 30 days to cure. During this time the doors and draws can seal themselves shut. Leave them open just a little bit and you will be fine.
    We did use a good paint, Valspar. BUT, we didn't use semi-gloss, we used Satin. I didn't like a glossy effect. Will they still be ok, or should we repaint over with semi-gloss or a clear coat, and if so what kind?
    Thanks!

Countrygirl,

Semi-gloss would probably give you slightly better cleanability, but I doubt it is worth the effort to re-do at this time. Also, semi-gloss will highlight the heavy graining of the oak, something I personally don't find attractive. To this extent, the satin is better.

Ordjen,

Thanks so much for your reply. We have not put the doors back on and intend on leaving them unattached to properly cure. We did get a smudge of dirt on one of the faces of the cabinets and it wiped off easily. I agree, I do not like the grain showing through,hence the reason behind satin... they look really nice with the matte finish. Thanks again!!

I can not speak as to the quality of Valspar, but if you bought it from the box store, buy another can right now and check it for color so you can touch up later. I have had two very bad experiences with that chain. They were unable to match their own color when purchased 2 months apart. I watched them trash 7 one gallons of paint trying to do so. Satin paint should be fine but as with all paint, do not wash it with 409, Fantastic, or any other "all propose" cleaners. They can remove the paint. Use dish soap and water to clean painted surfaces. Hope this helps.

We did not buy at a "big box" store. But do understand what you are saying. We have plenty left over for touch ups, if necessary. Thanks for the tips on how to clean, I did wonder about Windex, which I used on my melamine cabinets.

Make sure you save that touch-up paint in a container with little or no air in it. It will keep for years if no oxygen is present and it is not stored where it can freeze ( if water based).