+ Reply to Thread

Default Old Barn to New Home??

My husband and I have a deep passion for "the old". We have an old barn that is beyond repair, unless we want to spend a ton of money. We are also wanting to build a new home at this time. We really like timber-frame-style homes and were thinking that we might be able to be "green" and save a "little green" if we salvaged the beams from the barn for our home structure.

I guess my question is, does anyone know anyone that salvages old barns and can use them to build a new home?? It's a stretch but someone's got to be out there.

Default Re: Old Barn to New Home??

You might start here in your search http://www.preservationnation.org/is...ge/barn-again/ As far as what or who is available in your area, that's pretty hard to answer when you don't include your location.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Another resource is your state preservation society.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you, Jack. Your information was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kelley1 View Post
    does anyone know anyone that salvages old barns and can use them to build a new home?? It's a stretch but someone's got to be out there.
    ***....I am wanting to refinish a garage interior so it looks more like a converted barn...too bad we're not neighbors!!

It's great of you to put that old weathered wood out there, though!

I haven't done it, but I'm sure that if you deconstructed the barn yourself, you could just request that the house builder uses whatever you were able to rescue. But I'd also warn that you certainly want to make sure that you only keep quality non-rotted boards.

Do you want to use them as part of the structure or as interior?

see if you can find the this old house weston project. they did mostly what you're talking about. i believe they even found old timber beams from an old barn.....weston project is definitely the timberframe house....pertty sure that was the same one with the old barn timbers but not positive

There are many such projects on the web. Just make a research. Obviously it is possible to turn a barn into a cozy home. Good luck, I love your idea.
    Believe it or not, I know many things about home improvement and this is not only, because I am working for the best Hidden Content . Thanks to the hundreds of DIY projects that I've been making on my own for the last few years I've learned many things about how to preserve a home good looking.