+ Reply to Thread

Default replacing interior door

Am replacing a door to the basement and have found after removing the jamb and door that when the floor was redone they put in a new "subfloor" so the door frame is only 80" tall. Is it better to remove the header to extend the height or to cut the new door jamb as well as the door to make it fit? I am no carpenter, so I need the easiest way to do this but I don't want to weaken the door either.

I appreciate any thoughts!

Default Re: replacing interior door

As long as this isn't a load bearing wall you should be able to remove and raise the header.

If you want or need a full height door, then you have no choice but to move the header. If the door height is of no concern, then cut the jamb legs and door bottom which will be your easiest method.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Raising the header may be too difficult for you, as you admitted that you were not a carpenter. Do as spruce suggests and trim the door and jamb.

Caution: In some doors, cutting too much off the bottom will destroy them, so know the type of door you have before firing up your saw.

continuing on what dj just stated. if your installing a hollow core dore and you have to cut it down you may have to do some work on the door before it goes back on the hinges.. almost all hollow core doors only have 1" of wood at all 4 edges.. so if your cutting more than 3/4" off the door you will have to fill it back in on the bottom edge.. easiest thing to do is to clean off the block that fils the bottom, getting the all the 1/8 masonite off and glueing the piece back in , clamp it and let the glue set up. then put it back on the hinges

your other option is to buy a jamb kit and a blank door, so that the bottom hinge isnt too close to the floor
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    ...almost all hollow core doors only have 1" of wood at all 4 edges....
    The ones I've seen here lately have been closer to 7/8" on the bottom, and I've had to reset the filler on every darn one It wouldn't surprise me if they save another $0.00001 cost per door and make that 1/2" next year

You may have enough room under the header to raise the new door slightly- measure both sides carefully and see. If you can get things to where you don't need to cut more than 1/2" off the door you won't need to reset the filler. A little more time spent in one area might save you even more time and trouble in another

Phil

phil. dont scare me with a comment that door manufacturers are going to be reducing the filler strip to 1/2"

at the same time its rare that i hang hollow cores. 90% of the doors i hang are solid doors. so filling them is never the issue.. its just making sure they dont warp
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    phil. dont scare me with a comment that door manufacturers are going to be reducing the filler strip to 1/2"

at the same time its rare that i hang hollow cores. 90% of the doors i hang are solid doors. so filling them is never the issue.. its just making sure they dont warp
    There is nothing like working with solid doors and when you work on custom homes, you see more solid doors. I agree 100%.

Unfortunately, door manufactureres are pushing their hollow core doors everywhere. In tract homes, garage doors rated for fire are now hollow too. Kitchen doors to the side yard are hollow as well. At least around here. Therefore these doors shouldn't be trimmed more than 1/2".