+ Reply to Thread

Default I damaged my wood floors with a brillo pad! HELP!

Like a big dope, I attempted to clean paint that was splattered on the floor and used a wet brillo pad to remove the paint. The paint was easily removed but now I have scuff marks from the brillo pad on several areas of my wood floors... it is very noticeable, especially when the light hits it. Are there any quick fixes available, without having to buff and refinish the floors? I have a six month old at the apt. which makes it all very complicated. I read about mineral spirits and other types of products, such as, Rejuvenate floor restorer from Home Depot... I don't know what works...
    I'm lost! Please help me salvage my beautiful floors... Thank you.
    Last edited by MC0811; 03-08-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Default Re: I damaged my wood floors with a brillo pad! HELP!

Steel wool for refinishing comes in several grades. A Brillo pad would be a course grade. You can go to the paint department of a hardware store and get a medium grade and a fine grade of steel wool. Start with the medium grade to reduce the scuff marks, then follow with the fine grade to finish. Follow with a floor wax if needed.

I think I'd try to match the floor color and gently bring the color and finish to match the surrounding area. If you can get a small piece of matching molding or floor it would be easier to match it.

Wink Re: I damaged my wood floors with a brillo pad! HELP!

You can try the steel wool all the way down to triple zero,or ultra fine, the rejuvenate from minwax works great and dries fast in 2 hours, used it many times after the grandkids scratched up the floors with toys, but its got an oder to it, smells like poly and thinner mixed, so wait till its warm and leave the windows open and go out for a few hours if you don't want to breathe all the fumes, it says its low voc's but it still smells! Good Luck!

I would buff it down to a fine steel wool as described above and then hit the spots with a rag and some wipe on poly. This is not intended for floors because it goes on too think to provide any durability but when used on top of other damaged products it can bring the shine up and will feather in with the rest of your shiny floors like a brush on poly never could.