+ Reply to Thread

Default Rewiring Cost for MOST Circuit

I have a 1920 house with a 100 AMP breaker box, one of the breakers is marked "MOST" which controls all the ceiling lights on the1st and 2nd floor as well as a majority of the plugs on the 1st floor as well as the detached garage. There is access to the attic and the basement. What would be the approx. cost to rewire this circuit?

Default Re: Rewiring Cost for MOST Circuit

You are lucky the service has been changed to 100 amp, most houses of that era were only 40-60 amp serivce with 4-8 fuses for the entire home, If the wiring is in good shape i would leave the lighting and fans on that circuit/ provided there are no high wattage devices and the fans are using the properly supported boxes, and add new outlets/gfci's where needed, that is what I usally do! It is mostly cost effective to do it this way instead of traceing every commection/ junction in the walls and ceilings. The homes of that era were daisy chained from room to room and only had a few circuits, the ceiling/light boxes were feeds to top feed the oulets in the walls. Here in boston,ma we get $200-400 per opening/fan,light, or receptacle to retrofit new circuits in existing walls, it all depends on how open your access is to the places you want the runs. Then it is just a matter of pulling the cable and insalling boxes and devices! Good Luck!

Default Re: Rewiring Cost for MOST Circuit

Cost of doing what you want done varies from location to location and from one contractor to another.

Why don't you contact 3 or more local electricians and get bids? Best are those who come recommended and licensed/bonded.