+ Reply to Thread

Default Water in basement

1954 house, block walls. What I think is called a floating basement floor. 1-1/2" gap around inside perimeter, there is a sump pump. The drain channel is either not pitched right or full of sediment. I want to put a drain in the floor right into the sump. We started to access the floor and found a footer.

Do I need to go inside the footer or can this only be done from the outside? This will be a living space and so has to be dry and mold free.

Do I need to create a vapor barrier between the block wall and the living space?

Wink Re: Water in basement

You can add more drainage pipe and stone to increase the size of the drainage bed, do not mess with the footings they are there to hold up all your block walls, you need to see whats under your existing floor to see if its properly installed, if this was never designed to be a living space it can get quite expensive to install a full stone drainage bed,full wall drainage board, and waterproof it from the outside possibly, and then re-pour the basement slab and make it water tight, I have gotten quotes over $30k to waterproof my foundation and add a better sump pump/drainage sytem on the interior, The system I have now is just french drains on the interior and a 3600gph sump pump, and it can barely keep up in the spring thaw and rain, You also need to check your water table and see if it is high, finishing your basement is possible it just depends how much you want to spend to make it a living space! Good Luck!

Default Re: Water in basement

Thank you!