+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Roof Sheathing? 5/8 OSB vs. Plywood

I am planning an addition. I will be using 24' trusses 2' OC. The truss manufacturer recommend for exterior roof sheathing 5/8 tongue and groove Weyerhaeuser OSB. I had originally planned to use 1/2 plywood with clips. Any recommendations? Pros vs. cons between the 5/8 osb vs the 1/2 plywood?

Default Re: Which Roof Sheathing? 5/8 OSB vs. Plywood

Plywood would be my choice as well. If you use 5-ply then you can get away with 1/2" because the more plies the stronger the plywood. The cheaper and more typical 3-ply won't be strong enough to span the trusses.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Howdy, plywood does not DE laminate when wet . OSB does turns to mush - remember it is stronger then plywood but all best off when wet-. Also nailing wind resistance of shingles check which holds nails better against wind...

Consider 16" on center truss for a little more cost a stouter roof assembly then 2' on center. then compare to this 16" on center and 1/2" plywood verses 5/8".

Also consider viewing Mr. Fergusons? videos on drywall installation with truss different nailing floating wall to ceiling install of drywall,o to avoid trust lift damage different nailing - find this on Finehome Building web page- it real good!
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will check out Mr. Ferguson's videos.

When we frame, it's always 5/8" plywood for roof decks. No OSB.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

we use both osb with clips and 5/8 t&g roofply... just depends on what is in the budget and what truss manufacturer has spec'd. i prefer plywood, it has much more holding power for roofing nails and if it gets wet it doesnt swell up and stay swelled up like osb does
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    and if it gets wet it doesnt swell up and stay swelled up like osb does
    I've seen quite a few cases where OSB buckles between trusses or warps. Probably caused by water, but heat expansion takes it's toll as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

yup. if osb isnt properly gapped, when it swells and has no where to go because its installed too tight it will buckle
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I would use 1/2" plywood (5 ply) at a minimum.

What I don't like is the 24" between trusses. Talk to your architect about placing more of them to make them 16" o.c - as TM suggested.

For 24" OC I use only 3/4" plywood.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb