+ Reply to Thread

Default Window seat+baseboard heating?

When I saw this feature, "Build A Custom-Look Window Seat Using Stock Kitchen Cabinets" I fell in love! I've been trying to figure out how to use all the wasted space under three casement windows so a window seat is the perfect solution BUT there's a hot water baseboard heater running smack under that window! Can I still make the dream come true if I raise the units a couple of inches above the heater? If so, what's the best way to deflect the heat from the cases and prevent roasting whatever I store in the units? Cement board?

Thanks!
    Rosie

Default Re: Window seat+baseboard heating?

Set the window seat on a 4" platform and use a toe kick heater under it.

http://www.pexuniverse.com/beacon-morris

John

Thanks for the guidance Johnjh20, but my husband and I are really hoping to do this without making mechanical changes to the baseboards. It's a weekend place, so only we fire up the heating once a weekend through the winter.

It's common practice in such a situation to temporarily remove the front baseboard covers under the window where you plan to put the new seat & surround the fin-tube baseboard elements for the three feet or so width of the new seat with that pink blanket fiberglass insulation that all the home centers sell; use gloves when handling the pink stuff, as some people are allergic to it; a dust mask is a good idea as well; since this pink stuff is completely fireproof & will not emit any odors when heated (180 degrees is usually top temps in these applications), there will simply be no heat at the 3' section where you'll be doing the install;
    replace the steel baseboard covers when done & the pink insulation will be invisible; you can then do the carpentry to install the seats.

This may or may not reduce the amount of heat coming into the room on a cold day, but it's usually not something you'd notice; most original baseboard installs allowed for a few extra feet of baseboard when calculating the amount of heat loss for the room.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 03-07-2012 at 12:35 PM.