+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: smoke detector that gets disconnected and reconnected every day

I see someone else cooks like I do

Smoke detectors are good, but when I was doing rental homes invariably all of them had the batteries out when I did a service call or a move-out inspection. Houston Remodeler, I'm going to borrow your cover/stick idea- you're into something about not needing the ladder!

It's high time someone is working on the 'false-alarm' issue and once they perfect this, all the older ones should be outlawed since an un-powered smoke detector is as dead as the victim it was supposed to protect.

With the layout of my place I have the same kitchen problem. My solution was to put the detector in a bookshelf so there will be some smoke on the ceiling when it goes off but I can still crawl out under that if the worst happens. I refuse to leave it 'dead' so I hopefully won't be

If anyone tries one of these newer ones please post and let us know the details.

Phil

After 35 years in the rental business, I can tell you that tenants do remove batteries from smoke detectors.

I've never known why they do it. If the batteries were old, why not just replace them? If the batteries were not old, then why?

Every new tenant who moves in walks through the house with me and we test the smoke alarms. He then initials that he inspected them and they were working perfectly. Later, when he moves out - there are no batteries.

And every year you see on the news how tenants perish in a fire and there were no batteries in the smoke detectors.

In Texas the property code clearly states the smoke detector batteries are the responsibility of the renter.

since it is battery - not hard wired. Take battery out and install another detector one as far from the kitchen an close to your bed as you can. I'd put it on the wall about 1' from the ceiling an see about turning on the vent fan over stove while cooking ; turn the burners down; and quit blackening everything - Cajan is overrated.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.