+ Reply to Thread

Default Blending hardwood floors on a second story

We have a long narrow south facing bedroom with 2 1/4" wide solid oak hardwood flooring. The hallway and second bedroom are carpeted. We're planning to pull that up and have wood installed. Should we try to match the oak? Should it be laid parallel or perpendicular to the oak? Can the new wood be a different width?

Default Re: Blending hardwood floors on a second story

Quote Originally Posted by DianeGrundy View Post
    We have a long narrow south facing bedroom with 2 1/4" wide solid oak hardwood flooring. The hallway and second bedroom are carpeted. We're planning to pull that up and have wood installed. Should we try to match the oak? Should it be laid parallel or perpendicular to the oak? Can the new wood be a different width?
    I would recommend installing the same or similar type of flooring as what already exists. I would also use a darker color to create a border around the hallway, and do the body of the hallway and second bedroom the same as the existing flooring. By separating the new and old with the border you won't see any variance in color.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Blending hardwood floors on a second story

Thank you--hadn't thought of doing a border.