+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just an update: how's nightmare sound? Removed +/- 1 1/2 tons of old flooring, only to find that the joists were out of level, in both directions, by 1 1/2"!! Removed and replaced every joist instead of sistering as planned.

Now that we finally have the subfloor in, I have a 'Chicken or the Egg' question. I want to get the tub in place and then tile the floor. New walls to follow. My reasoning is to allow a bit of a gap that can be siliconed "just in case". The other half wants the walls in first, "because".

Does it matter which goes in first?

Default Re: Re-doing the floor from the joists up

The tub goes in at the rough framing stage, well before tiling and rough plumbing. The reason - its the only time you can fit it in there. Some times the framing has to be 'adjusted' to get the tub into place.

The tub goes stud to stud, no gap at the edges into a standard 60" opening. DOn't be surprised if the tub isn't perfectly molded flat. Take every opportunity to get the top deck of the tub as level as possible.

Default Re: Re-doing the floor from the joists up

Thanks for the reply. The tub is absolutely the first thing back in - the thing is enormous and heavy as h**l. (1929, American Standard, porcelain/steel).

The question is: is there an order to the rest? Tile the floor first or hang drywall first? I haven't even had a chance to pressure test my plumbing joints, so that's one argument for walls going up after the floor.