+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tub shopping

Default tub shopping

I am looking for thoughts on a tub suggestion. so many choices and i dont know what direction to start other than the basics.. right hand drain 60x32 spot to put it in. I have 5 children with the oldest only being 8, and my husband is a good size man. I have did some reading here where people were saying acrylic wears quickly, but I'm feeling overwhealmed with trying to find the right tub for our house and family.

Default Re: tub shopping

Depending on your taste and budget, you can go with enamel over steel or cast iron.

Cast iron is heavy and not easy to fit into a finished bathroom.

When I have to replace a tub I opt for the lighter weight steel tub. If you handle it with care it will last decades. And it's really inexpensive compared to cast iron and acrylic composite.

Go with a cast iron tub. We call steel tubs temporary tubs. You didn't say why you were replacing your tub but I'm betting it was a steel tub that has rusted out.

John

when we bought the house there is no tub in the main bathroom... previous owners converted it into a full shower and with small children i need a tub.

we do have a second bath sorta in the basement, but the hot water leaks, the tub is cracked and the basement isnt finished and its cold in winter and hot in the summer down there... also the sink drain isnt vented so the drain is capped, but hey the toilet works down there.

There is a tub for every application, fiberglass is decent but can crack and get holes easily but no worries of rusting, cast iron is heavy and hard to install due to its weight but last virtually forever but can chip and need repaired also can end up needing refinished which is expensive and can rust, steel is light a little more durable but can dent and rust out completely I personally don't mind any of them if taken good care of any of those tubs can last for a very very long time fiberglass if improperly installed has known to pop and make noise to give you forewarning.

Thee Punctual Plumber
    342 N 100 E, Spanish Fork, UT 84660
    (801) 960-1755 ‎

Hi, I purchased a MTI bathtub. They have a little write up about MTI if you search the TOH website. They are expensive but I think it was worth it. It is made from a corian type material.

I am a large person too. I hated the "flex" of acrylic tubs (even those that were properly cemented in), and I thought although they were easier to pick up-that steel tubs were kind of cheap.

In my remodel I went with a basic style Kohler brand cast iron tube (about $550). It is a little more work getting it in, but it is sturdy, they have a good history of lasting very long, and it looks great!

Good acrylic tubs can last a long time too (my old one was 20 years before the finish wore out), but I think that cast iron is the best choice. You can pretty much be assured that with cast iron, unless your tastes change, the tub will be the last tub you install.

Good luck!!

bootcast is really good lighter than cast iron and are heavier steel but for everyone there is something my fiberglass acrylic tub works fine no movement at all but I framed it in correctly and put expansion foam all over the bottom of concrete to keep the cold from transferring into the bottom of the tub I hate that and its been over 6 years no squeaks movement or problems but everyone has personal preference Cast iron is heavy and requires a couple people to haul in but does last forever but could need re-finished it cost about the same to do so fiberglass or steel it cost about same to refinish any of them.

Ben's Plumbing
    100 E Center St, Provo, UT 84604
    (801) 850-9087 ‎

Ceramic tubs are best and my favorite.