+ Reply to Thread

Default Why does glass replacement need to installed from exterior

Hi All,

Just curious I was told glass replacement should always be installed from the exterior otherwise it will probably leak....Is this a true statement...I don't understand why it would leak if glass is installed from the interior side.
    Last edited by tonyc56; 03-04-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Default Re: Why does glass replacement need to installed from exterior

Depending on the type of window you have, in some windows you replace the glass from the outside, in others the window frame has to be disassembled.

Can you send a photo?

Imagine that you are on a submarine. If the glass was installed from the inside the pressure of the water would push the glass away from the seal, causing it to leak. For this reason, view portals are installed from the outside, as pressure increases, the glass is forced deeper and harder into the seal, preventing leaks. The same, in effect, happens to windows on a house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

1-The wood mutins provides a point for leaks if they were on the outside,even if the glass is pressed into a bed of glazing an 2-it is more aesthetic on the inside with mutins rather than glazing.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hi . A. SPRUCE

I understand the obvious reason in the case for a submarine. However, for a house why would the pressure be greater outside?

Tony C

What you are trying to avoid is moisture coming in. And glass mounted on the exterior of the window with glazing material, will stop the water better. Done correctly, it will stop all moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc56 View Post
    Hi . A. SPRUCE

I understand the obvious reason in the case for a submarine. However, for a house why would the pressure be greater outside?

Tony C
    Wind and driving rain.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Wind and driving rain.

Makes perfect sense...

To re-inforce Spruce's observations, the better sliding patio doors have the movable panel on the outside. When the wind blows against it, the weather seals are compressed even tighter.

for the same reason we install outswing entry doors as much as possible. im on the coast and were starting to see more and more hurricanes... heavy winds can push on a inswing door which can allow water in very easily.. if its an outswing the wind pushes the door into the weatherstripping creating a even tighter seal
    fire up the saw and make some dust