+ Reply to Thread

Default Master bath tub faucet kills water pressure.

Have a Jacuzzi tub in our master bath. Tub faucet has separate hot and cold water controls that mix to a single spout. Turn on the hot and you get full water pressure with plenty of hot water. But if you then turn on the cold water to mix the stream to the proper temperature, in a matter of seconds the entire flow drops significantly, almost to a trickle. When this occurs, water pressure throughout the entire house is gone. Turn off the tub faucet and water pressure immediately returns to normal throughout the house. This problem only exists with the master bath faucet. All other faucets in the house operate with full pressure at all times (except when the Jacuzzi tub is killing the pressure).

This is a new problem; it did not used to behave this way.

I assume the master tub faucet is the prime suspect in this problem? Any ideas what is happening and how to cure?

House is 12 years old. Water heater is three years old. Master bath tub and faucet is original to the house, no work has ever been done to the tub faucet.

Thanks!

Default Re: Master bath tub faucet kills water pressure.

What kind of pipes do you have?

It almost sounds like you have a blockage somewhere in the cold line.

Thanks for the reply!

The pipes are copper.

The cold water runs strong if that is the only line on. Same for the hot. It is only when I turn the cold water on after the hot water when the severe reduction in pressure occurs.

Clarification -- it doesn't matter whether I turn on the hot first or the cold first. Turn either on, then turn on the opposite and the pressure plummets.

You have a restriction in the cold water main line at some point. It could be a main valve that is not completely on or a broken valve on the main line. Have you had the water off for some reason? If the main valve is a gate valve chances are the gate has broken off the stem resulting in a partially closed valve.

John

Thanks John. I'll track that down. The water has not been off at the main line, but some recent work to the water heater did shut down the cold feed line at the heater.

Curt

Check your water meter too make sure its not half way open I think John is dead on the money on this one and those tubs use a lot more water than normal fixtures.

Ben & Munson Mech Plumbing
    300 N 100 W
    Lehi, UT 84043
    (801) 960-1766
    http://www.benfranklinplumbingut.com

Thanks plumbingjim17. Appreciate the response, confirmation, and extra tip to check the meter.

UPDATE:

Thanks to dj1, Johnjh20, and plumbingjim17.

There was indeed a blockage in the cold water line. Turns out the water softener was shot. Was able to confirm by bypassing the unit. Replaced the softener and everything is back to normal.

I regret I didn't mention the softener in my original message -- never occurred to me that is was relevant.

Again, thanks to all you folks who are so generous with your knowledge!