+ Reply to Thread

Default installing new ceiling fan/light to old tube wiring

having a helluva time trying to install a new fan/ light...have old style wiring tube and whatever, can never remember what they call it...how do you determine hot wire from the neutral...or does it make any difference?....help me, please?

Default Re: installing new ceiling fan/light to old tube wiring

Better yet rewire get rid of the knob and tub.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

If you do have knob and tube wiring it is not easy. You need to run a wire connected to ground perhaps a water pipe ant use a meter to red from ground to the two wires one will read hot the other will not. Secondly connection to K&T wire must be done by way of a lineman's splice and be soldered, and properly taped or with an approved nut connector, not wire nuts, and properly taped.It must also be approved in your jurisdiction. The best thing to do is run new wiring. If you hire it done be sure you get an electrician that knows how to do K&T work.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Forget the fixture for now and rewire. Knob and Tube was OK when there was nothing better, but that was a long time ago and we don't want to be giving you advice on selecting a contractor to rebuild after the fire was put out!

Phil

Wink Re: installing new ceiling fan/light to old tube wiring

I have worked on a lot of knob and tube in the past and I am no longer allowed to touch it due to my buisness insurance carrier. Get rid of the knob and tube and pull new lines to your fixtures, a ceiling fan needs a properly supported fan box/brace and they have no connections to accomodate knob and tube, if your home insurer has to pay a claim on a fire from knob and tube wiring they will most likely cancel your home insurance untill it is all replaced. If you have to install a fan have a dedicated run and proper support box for the fa at a bare minimun! Good Luck!

You may have only planned on changing a light fixture but as recommended but full replacement of the line is highly recommended. I'm not an electrician so I don't get a new contract on this recommendation but I was recently in the same situation and replaced all of the wiring.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content