+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weed, weed, weed

Does anyone know why is it so hard to grow vegetables, but weed (no, not that kind...) grows easily even in the worst conditions?

I have a shady area along the fence near my veggie garden, and the weed always gows there. Lousy soil, no water, no sun - it thrives. I just spent some time pulling them - I'm dead, they are alive

Default Re: Weed, weed, weed

You're such a whiner ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce, you are invited to come down here and help me pull some weed. I pay handsomely with home grown radishes.

I'm afraid I'll need a little more incentive than that.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

OK, I'll wet the weed before you arrive, so they are easier to pull.

And free airport pick up and drop off.

Wet weed doesn't burn!

Get your mind out of the doobie bag! I meant one of these!

Torching them is too risky in my city. Also unlawful.

If you are serious about an answer, here it is. Weeds are usually native plants although some are invasive foreigners that found an ideal environment. There are only two food plants native to North America, corn and amaranth. All others were brought over by our forefathers. Those amber waves of grain were brought over from Europe.

So most vegetables are being grown in an environment they are not used to. You have to do everything that you can to make the environment suitable for them. This will help control some weeds as the change in environment will not be to their liking, but it seems that most adapt pretty quickly.

You might get a copy of a book on "companion planting" or google it for information. Sometimes the weeds turn out to be beneficial to the vegetables by being more attractive to pests (insects) or hosting predators for those pests. Some weeds will not be good neighbors though, but a good article or book on this subject will point those out.

You could also try a change in attitude. A weed is just a plant that is growing where it is not wanted. Some desirable houseplants are considered a weed in their native country. I live out in the country and although my neighbors have weeds in their fields, I don't have any weeds, but I do have a lot of bio-diversity.

BTW, I am already harvesting from my vegetable garden. I have some Brussels Sprouts, Asparagus and carrots. I got my first Asparagus in February this year, unbelievable.

Thank you Keith for the valuable information. A war against the weed is not a war I can win. I just don't want them stealing our irrigation water, since we don't have a lot of water out here. This season we are only 20% of normal rainfall. In English it's called: drought.

It's pretty amazing that you have crops so early, but this year has been really crazy. We have lemons, cherry tomatoes and bok choy (Asian lettuce) ready to be harvested.