+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default closet motion sensor

Installed a motion sensor light in the closet, but becaise you are behid the sensor when you open the door, it doesn't sense you and doesn't come on. Help!

Default Re: closet motion sensor

What's wrong with the usual wall switch as you open the closet?

In a small closet without a light, you can install a simple battery operated touch dome light. Cheap and useful alternative.

The switch is on the wrong side of the door.oposite side from door opening. There is a light , but you open the door, remember the light and you have to close the door to flip the switch. Inconvenient
    and annoying.

Install a pressure switch on the door, that way when the door is opened the light automatically comes on.

You could relocate the motion sensor to a more suitable location and then just extend the wires back to the lamp base using wire mold or conduit.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A mirror on the back wall?

I want to change my earlier answer.

Rather than screwing around with motion sensors and rewiring everything, why not just put the light switch inside the closet? Simply install a cut-in box behind the existing switch, then move the switch and wires to the new location. When you're done, put a blank cover over the abandoned box. Now you can simply open the door turn on the switch and have light.

Short of that, I'd go with my original suggestion of a pressure switch that automatically turns on the light when the door is opened. Simple switch, simple installation.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Jamb switch. Works just like the refrigerator light.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

pressure switch - where does one find them to buy?
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

I think they're also known as a momentary switch.

I would guess you could find one at an electrical supply house or an electronics store. Some internet research may be in order to find exactly what you want.

Howdy been checking radi o shack no go no go a lowes no go at home depo... any ideas???? a simple push in button switch.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.