+ Reply to Thread

Default Getting _hot_ water in an upstairs laundry room

Hello everyone. I have a plumbing question about hot water in a 2nd floor laundry room. We recently bought a 9 year old house (that has a brand new water heater in the basement). The water is plenty hot in both the kitchen and half bath in the 1st floor above the tank, as well as in the two bathrooms on the 2nd floor (one basically above the tank, the other about 35 feet away after getting up to the 2nd floor). In the 2nd floor bathroom sinks and showers the water is still plenty hot - granted it takes a few seconds in the close bathroom and a little more than 10 seconds for the farther away bathroom to reach a hot temperature.

My problem is in the laundry room on the 2nd floor where the hot water going into the washing machine is luke-warm at best and has very low pressure. And the faucet coming out of the wall is nowhere near hot to the touch when water is being drawn into the machine. The washing machine is at the opposite side of the house from the tank, about 45 feet from the tank once you're on the 2nd floor. The dilemma is I do not know how the hot water is getting to the washing machine, so this is the next step, but I was looking general tips on things to look for as a possible culprit.

I tried looking through the forums with the obvious keywords, but surprisingly didn't find a discussion on getting hot water in 2nd floor laundry rooms. My first thought from watching Ask TOH episodes was it might be a problem with the anti-scald valves in the 2nd bathroom's shower if the plumbing in the two rooms are connected. But since the water seems plenty hot there and the pressure seems fine, the problem is likely elsewhere right?

I am trying to figure out what to try next. Is there simple way to figure out what pipes are feeding the laundry room? Does this sound like it is beyond anything a DYI'er can fix besides cranking up the water heater and trying not to scald myself in every other room or the dishes in the dishwasher?

Thanks for your help. Hopefully there is still something I can try to find the source of the problem at least!

Best wishes.

Default Re: Getting _hot_ water in an upstairs laundry room

The problem may be in the clothes washer. Try disconnecting the hot water hose from the machine and run it into a bucket.

John

This is outside the box, but I switched over to a Bosch laundry pair where the washer requires no hot water hookup; it has its own water heater. Both the washer & dryer run on 220v AC. It uses a tiny fraction of the water that my old top-loader used, and my water and electric bills dropped noticeably. It features a 160 degree sterilizing cycle so you can get stuff super clean.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Is your washing machine temperature selector set on 'hot'?

If yes, this is what I want you to do:

- Turn the hot water valve off.
    - Disconnect the fill tube at the washing machine. At this time do what John says and test the water into a bucket. If you don't get hot water after a few buckets the problem is in the wall piping. If you get hot water after a few buckets, continue to the next step.
    - Bring the washing machine out, so you can look into the fill inlet.
    - There is a wire filter sitting inside. Is it clear or is it dirty?

If it's dirty, clean it, reconnect the fill tube, turn the hot water valve and test. Report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    This is outside the box, but I switched over to a Bosch laundry pair where the washer requires no hot water hookup; it has its own water heater. Both the washer & dryer run on 220v AC. It uses a tiny fraction of the water that my old top-loader used, and my water and electric bills dropped noticeably. It features a 160 degree sterilizing cycle so you can get stuff super clean.
    Casey
    That's a great feature and I saw it coming. Individual hot water makers for each user. The only question I have though is about the energy saving: heating the water with electricity compared to with gas at the water heater.

I remember when car engines switched from a coil on top of the disributor to small induvidual coils on top of each spark plug. Kind of the same idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Is your washing machine temperature selector set on 'hot'?

If yes, this is what I want you to do:

- Turn the hot water valve off.
    - Disconnect the fill tube at the washing machine. At this time do what John says and test the water into a bucket. If you don't get hot water after a few buckets the problem is in the wall piping. If you get hot water after a few buckets, continue to the next step.
    - Bring the washing machine out, so you can look into the fill inlet.
    - There is a wire filter sitting inside. Is it clear or is it dirty?

If it's dirty, clean it, reconnect the fill tube, turn the hot water valve and test. Report back.
    Thanks John and dj1! I can't believe I didn't try the easy thing first before checking all the other faucets on the 2nd floor... I tried testing the water directly from the wall into a bucket and it comes out fairly hot (not bad at all after the ~70ft of piping). Then I reconnected the hose to the machine and tried again on the 'hot' setting like I meant to say before. Still lukewarm, so I closed the cold supply and the water going in the washing machine became hot. So there is some problem with the inlet it seems.

I will try tomorrow to pull out the machine and have a look at the inlets for the filters. This a GE top loading washing machine that is 4 years old, but has gone through 2 moves and the previous house had very hard water - so perhaps we have some lime deposits clogging the inlet or the filters...

I'll check out the cleanliness of things and let you know what I find. Thanks again for the advice!!