+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Old floor underlayment - asbestos?

Back with another question about a problem uncovered in my 1881 Victorian...

I'm taking up some nailed-down thin plank flooring in the guest room that's in horrible shape and ran into a paper underlayment (feels like stiff construction paper, tan in color, not glued, comes up easily.) I stopped work because I know a lot of older liners and underlayers on vinyl and wood floors can contain asbestos, but I've gotten inconclusive answers not just on whether this material is toxic but exactly WHAT it is--it's not tar paper...maybe it could be rosin paper?

The floor would have gone down in the early 1960s...right in the bullseye for asbestos use. I know it's probably nothing to worry about but I'm doing 98% of this renovation DIY and I don't want to contaminate my home.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Default Re: Old floor underlayment - asbestos?

if its tan its probably just rosin paper, typically flooring underlayment that is made of asbestos is white in color and looks like canvas. i run into it all the time in a couple of older neighborhoods i do a fair amount of work in. it being from the 60's its not as likely to asbestos but still a chance
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Old floor underlayment - asbestos?

Thanks! Definitely not canvas-like...my first thought was rosin paper but I thought I'd double-check with the good folks here.