+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stone Dry Walls

Exclamation Stone Dry Walls

Hopefully, someone can help me because I'm not at all sure I am using this site properly. I am a 72 year old woman who was forced to sell her family's property to keep her mother in a nursing home 18 years. Since it was purchased in 1865, this was painful. Determined to not let it all go, I carted 19 loads of stone from stone rows created by our 4 generations and used them to build dry stone walls around my flowerbeds. I have been plagued with ground seeping through the rocks. Also in the front of our home, the front steps have no sides. They are on an incline. I have the rocks "wrapped" into that area on both sides of the steps. However, I keep losing soil along the sides of the steps. I planted creeping Jenny there which helps hide the erosion but does not stop it. Do you have any ideas how I can stop the erosion without going into too much expense or effort? Understand, I am willing to work but cannot lift heavy things like big rocks!
    Also, I have photos on the computer but do not have a clue how to send them to TOH. Thank you!!! Anne

Default Re: Stone Dry Walls

Pictures will be needed to answer your questions. You can e-mail the pictures to me jackson_l_mcdaniel@yahoo.com and I will post them for you. Put TOH PICS in the subject line and include your TOH user name.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Without seeing any photos normally when I have built dry stone walls if it is a double skin is fill the middleof the wall with a sand cement mix filling all the holes up.
    Massive tools sale on nowHidden Content

Hidden Content

You can stop most of the erosion through a stone wall by placing garden cloth directly behind the stones. Garden cloth will let water pass but stop most of the dirt.

Jack

Here are her photos

Jack

Not sure if you started with stone below ground level. The only cure I can see is to tear the wall down and start over. Dig down several inches for you first row of stones. Lay the edge of a ground cloth in the trench with the rest of the ground cloth against the fill. re build the wall and tuck the top of the ground cloth under the top one or two layers of stone.

Jack

Jack, Thank you for all your help. I did not go below ground level on both the first and second time I did the wall. I have stones to redo it what will be my last time. I had planned to dig down below soil level this time. I had thought about your suggestion of landscape cloth as well. I just wish I could figure out how to stop the soil erosion at the edges of the steps!
    Thank you too for posting the photos for me! Anne W.