+ Reply to Thread

Default Wall patch indenting

About 2 years ago I filled in an opening between my kitchen and hall. One section of the patch keeps indenting. I have taped it and skim coated it about 3 times but after a few months it indents again. Any ideas on how to fix this.

Thanks,

joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0498.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	2353  

Default Re: Wall patch indenting

I had something similar happen at our house and it was because there was no backing behind the piece of wall board that a contractor put up. In my case I put in wire screen from an old window that I had and skim coated over it. I wish though that I had just completely torn the wallboard out and then put wood behind the wall board to stiffen it even though the wire mesh worked fairly well.
    Did you use wood behind the wallboard? It might be too that any wood you did use might be slightly misaligned and that is telegraphing through to the other side. In any event I think your best bet would be to take the wallboard out and then make sure it has a good wood backing to it and re-taping it. Good luck to you!

Hi, Thanks for the response. I put 2x4's behind the wallboard around the edges but nothing behind where I joined two pieces. Which is where I am getting the indent. I guess I will remove the pieces and put a cross brace up and see if that fixes it.

Thanks again,

joe

If you are cutting a small section of drywall out where the indent is, I would suggest using a couple pieces of plywood that span the joint and screwing each side of the joint to the plywood. THat will keep each side of the drywall joint at the same level.
    Last edited by bp21901; 04-24-2009 at 08:51 AM.