+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to vent Grill Smoke

Hi everyone. I have a patio, roughly 15'x25' that has a ridged roof with a passive ridge roof vent installed (there is no finished ceiling). I framed out and installed a system that allows the patio to be screened during the summer months, but it also has soft plastic panels which travel on a track which allows the patio to be enclosed during the cold months/bad weather. I have two ceiling fans installed in the space. Heres my dilemma/question. I like to barbecue out here all year long. When the patio is "open" (screened), it hasn't been too much of a problem with smoke buildup due to pretty good air circulation/fans. During the winter, I usually try to open some of the panels AND put the ceiling fans on...but the area turns into a smokehouse with the fans just swirling around the smoke. What can I do? Are there any types of grills/barbecue kits that I can place in the space that would vent the smoke out (of a chimney)? Is there anything I can do up in the ridge to possibly help exhaust the smoke out of the ridge vent? Exhaust fans in the roof? I like being able to barbecue when it's raining or snowing outside SO I'd rather not locate the grill outside of the space. Thanks for any input.

Default Re: How to vent Grill Smoke

I think I would install something along the lines of a attic fan/gable vent or better would probably be a power vent (whirlybird).

Here's the thing, with the smoke rising and getting trapped in the roof structure, you've got to get an exhaust fan up there to remove it. A side venting gable vent would probably be the best/easiest, however the smoke is going to discolor the outside wall and eaves.

If you go with a power vent through the roof you won't have that problem. I believe that you can either purchase an eyebrow vent with a fan or you can get a whirlybird with a fan.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I think gable fans might be the easiest solution. I would probably put a fan in each gable and maybe switch them separately so depending on the wind direction you might only need one turned on.

I also could see an upblast exhaust fan, the kind that are seen on restaurants as being a good solution. I only have seen them in commercial installations, so they may not be easy to get and be somewhat expensive. The fan could be located over the grill to take the smoke out more directly.

How about a conventional type kitchen range hood mounted relatively close to the grill, but not too close so as to avoid flame ups. Try to intercept the smoke before it goes all over the enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    How about a conventional type kitchen range hood mounted relatively close to the grill, but not too close so as to avoid flame ups. Try to intercept the smoke before it goes all over the enclosure.
    I was thinking the same thing too like a free standing island type of fan hood. Somebody probably makes one rated for an outdoor installation.
    I like to grill all winter too, except mine is on an open deck. Snow, rain & wind puts a damper on it. The cold weather works in my favor though when grilling things like birds or roasts that take hours to cook.
    Last edited by ed21; 03-01-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Personally, I doubt you can get enough air flow from the typical residential range hood to make much of a difference, unless it was directly over the exhaust of the grill, even then it would be over burdened. A bath fan would move more air, but I still think the OP needs something to clear the cathedral ceiling area.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You could be right Spruce. I haven't researched it that much. The cheaper units probably would not. They tend to be noisy too.

I have bought venting devices from this website before: www.ventingdirect.com

THanks for the suggestions everyone. I too was thinking about constructing some type of a "hood" BUT for those of you that barbecue know...when you get flare-ups and open the grill..the smoke just pours out everywhere. It would take an exhaust fan with a lot of CFM to pull that smoke in the right direction. As several of you mention, I think the smoke wants to trap up in the ridge of the open structure. With the ceiling fans in the downdraft direction, I'm just swirling it around. THe idea I like best is a gable vent fan high up near the ridge AND with the ceiling fans in an updraft mode...perhaps this would push the smoke up AND out. BTW I only have one exposed gable end for the porch roof ties into my existing roof on a perpendicular.

Not to keep a dead thread alive..but after more research, I think I'm going to try to find a commercial "type" hood to place over the barbecue. This seems like it will be the best option. I'm skeptical that a gable fan would be able to pull out of the smoke out in a "timely" manner. Now if I could only find a hood that doesn't set me back almost as much as the deck/porch itself!

I think you'll be surprised at just how much air an attic fan can push. They are rated at 1200cfm and up, that's a lot of air. Your 15x25 porch has roughly 4500 cubic feet, which means that a 1200cfm fan can change the air in about 4 minutes. That is 15 air changes per hour. Then there is the cost, between $60 and $100 depending on the cfm rating.

If you'd still prefer a hood, then you could save yourself some money and build one, using the attic fan for the exhaust.