+ Reply to Thread

Default door frame repair

My mother's 60+ year old house, in Texas, has a door frame that needs repair. The area around the lock striker plate has been enlarged over the years to accommodate several different locks and doors. How do I fill in that area so the current lock is secure? I have considered taking a piece of hardwood, trimming it to size, cutting out the place for the lock bar, and gluing the repair piece in place. I am wondering what type of glue is best for this, and if I am on the right track.

Default Re: door frame repair

I've done a few of these and they are a pain in the arse! I cut out the damaged area with 45* cuts along the top and bottom of the piece to be removed. This gives you a place to "key" in the replacement material, making it easier to accomplish a flush installation and finish.

Use shims to adjust the height of the repair and fully secure the piece to the framing and jamb stock with wood glue and nails or screws. Use a combination of sanding and wood filler to cover fastener holes, fill gaps, etc.

Mortise in the strike plate and paint is all that is left to do.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I've done a few of these and they are a pain in the arse!....
    Spruce, you have the gift of understatement down pat and you have the methods for a great repair down pat just as well!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Spruce, you have the gift of understatement down pat and you have the methods for a great repair down pat just as well!

Phil
    Pat is my middle name.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!