+ Reply to Thread

Default Boring boxy ugly house - please help me transform it

Hi there...my husband and I just purchased a home and while we loooove the interior, the exterior leaves a lot to be desired! It's a newer home (1990) but the outside is just real boxy and has no shape to it whatsoever. We can't figure out what will improve the look of the house...a front porch/landscaping/better walkway, etc. PLEASE HELP US!!!!

Thank you,
    Christy

Default Re: Boring boxy ugly house - please help me transform it

There's a lot you can do, but first you have to narrow it to what you like and could be done with your budget.

Get yourself familiar with many of the options. Search in publications, landscaping books and magazines and in various websites to get ideas. Drive around your town and take photos of houses you like. Talk to architects and other professionals.

In other words, do your homework and follow your dream.

Thanks for the reply dj1...we're just not good at design or have the "eye" for things like that. I will definitely take your advice on driving around town to see other houses that are similar. The hard part for me is that no 2 houses are the same and I am so bad at this haha that I would need to see a house that is almost identical to mine to see what it would need to look better.

We need pics, but you have to up your post count to 10 I believe before you are allowed.

If you have pictures you can e-mail them to me jackson_l_mcdaniel@yahoo.com include TOH PICS in the subject line along with your TOH user name and I will post them for you.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

What I usually do in cases like this is to take a picture of the entire side you want to alter, then keep it with you as you look around. When you see a house with something you think might work, hold the picture beside what you see and it is a lot easier to imagine the results on your home.

Phil

I found this forum and thread while googling for help for the same issue. I just purchased my first house. It is a small house and while the inside is nice, the outside is soooo ugly. I don't have much money, so I need some very inexpensive ideas to quickly do something to help the exterior, and then spend money on better fixes as I am able. Any suggestions or ideas? Or even direction to some sites that give inexpensive ideas? I am just not good or imaginative with this type of thing. Thank you for any help you can give me!

i answered a similar question about a kitchen remodel a few months ago. in a nutshell my advice is as follows.

go to a local architecture or design school, speak to some of the professors and tell them your dilemma. most of these schools will use your house as a project for the students and you get all the design ideas for free. in most cases you can even get printed designs and layouts to show you how your house would look. all the better to mention that you have a limited budget so that they will have that constraint to work within.

There are many things you can do to improve your exterior, first thing you can do is to paint your exterior wall with good exterior pain, second you can do landscaping and gardening in your front yard, you can keep a nice artificial water fall in your walkway.

We bought a small rambler that was ugly - really! it had 8x18 pink asbestos tiles from 1950.
    My wife has a great eye (she is a graphic designer) and she watches all the shows that have anything to do with refurbishing. anyway she decided to use commercial steel paneling in a soft blue/green/greyish color. Panels are turned vertically to make the house look taller too. They came from a mill in PA. We were able to save on shipping by going to the plant and picking them up. We used a local contractor as I didn't have the tools for all the cuts needed on those thick steel panels. It's also the 'green' thing to do. Steel can be recycled if the next owner does like it - unlike the asbestos tiles we had to double bag and take to the landfill.