+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Boring boxy ugly house - please help me transform it

Hi there...my husband and I just purchased a home and while we loooove the interior, the exterior leaves a lot to be desired! It's a newer home (1990) but the outside is just real boxy and has no shape to it whatsoever. We can't figure out what will improve the look of the house...a front porch/landscaping/better walkway, etc. PLEASE HELP US!!!!

Thank you,
    Christy

Default Re: Boring boxy ugly house - please help me transform it

There's a lot you can do, but first you have to narrow it to what you like and could be done with your budget.

Get yourself familiar with many of the options. Search in publications, landscaping books and magazines and in various websites to get ideas. Drive around your town and take photos of houses you like. Talk to architects and other professionals.

In other words, do your homework and follow your dream.

Thanks for the reply dj1...we're just not good at design or have the "eye" for things like that. I will definitely take your advice on driving around town to see other houses that are similar. The hard part for me is that no 2 houses are the same and I am so bad at this haha that I would need to see a house that is almost identical to mine to see what it would need to look better.

We need pics, but you have to up your post count to 10 I believe before you are allowed.

If you have pictures you can e-mail them to me jackson_l_mcdaniel@yahoo.com include TOH PICS in the subject line along with your TOH user name and I will post them for you.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

What I usually do in cases like this is to take a picture of the entire side you want to alter, then keep it with you as you look around. When you see a house with something you think might work, hold the picture beside what you see and it is a lot easier to imagine the results on your home.

Phil