+ Reply to Thread

Question dishwasher replace problem

I am in the process of replacing a portable dishwasher with a built-in. The plumbing is in place but the problem is it is going directly next to a free standing gas range with only minimal space between. What kind of barrier is necessary between the two or do you recommend?

Default Re: dishwasher replace problem

I have never seen a freestanding stove/range right next to a dishwasher. That doesn't mean that they can't be paired.

Most dishwashers come with an insulation blanket, so the distance to the range is not a great concern, unless I'm wrong

As long as the counter top doesn't flap in the breeze....

As Mr Houston mentions, there needs to be support for the edge of the counter top. (Between the stove and dishwasher) 3/4" panel would be fine

Both the range and the dishwasher are likely "zero clearance" appliances, meaning that there are no minimum distances to adjacent materials. So it should be safe to put them next to each other.

Now whether that's a practical idea may be debatable, but it's certainly not unsafe.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Whereas I agree with the above statements, Its something I have never seen and certainly would not be a designers first, second or third choice.

not a design choice just a necessity when replacing a portable and not wanting or being able to afford a new kitchen!so thank you all for you input it has helped a whole lot!

Just make sure that there isn't any potential that a leaking fitting on the DW could cause water to get sprayed into the range outlet if its' an elec. range.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical