+ Reply to Thread

Default how long can leftover paint be stored for reuse?

I have a half bucket of paint left over from last siding paint job. It was well sealed and stored. It has not yet solidified. But it has been for 7 years. Is it still good for reuse?

Default Re: how long can leftover paint be stored for reuse?

Given what you said, probably. If you are painting the house again, I would use all new paint.

I'm finding that the cans rust out before the paint goes bad. Using an oxygen-remover like Bloxygen will help stabilize things longer-term. If you have less than a gallon, it would be better to completely fill quart cans than leave it in the original container, but you have to label everything again. Mason jars would work, too, for small amounts for touchups.
    If you decant the paint into new cans, strain it so you get rid of the junk.

Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Sometimes, saving a little paint leftover doesn't pencil out: the handling, the packaging, the loss in the paint quality, the shelf space, the hardening, etc.
    Think about it, after all new paint is not that expensive. But labor is.

I kept some paint from my bathroom walls from about 4 years ago. I just put it in a plastic container and took it out of the metal container. Just had the toilet replaced a month ago and there was some empty spots on the wall with the new toilet. Used the same paint and it looks good as new and worked great four years later!!!!!