+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Banging pipes

Default Banging pipes

When we installed our front load washing machine,the pressure of the water upon filling up make or pipes bang. We have installed water shock aresstors on both the hot and cold water pipes. The pipes are still banging (loudly). Is there anything else we can do to eliminate this?

If my sills in my windows are rotted. what is the best replacement option. Should we put in new windows with sills or just replacements?

Default Re: Banging pipes

Quote Originally Posted by ncarangelo View Post
    When we installed our front load washing machine,the pressure of the water upon filling up make or pipes bang. We have installed water shock aresstors on both the hot and cold water pipes. The pipes are still banging (loudly). Is there anything else we can do to eliminate this?

If my sills in my windows are rotted. what is the best replacement option. Should we put in new windows with sills or just replacements?
    What type arresters did you use? These work very well.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WAT...KDL6?Pid=searc

John

First an foremost what's the pressure @ to the home? And if its high your going to need a PRV installed or adjusted and or replaced usually this is the case sometimes it can be caused by no expansion tank on water heater as well but if pressure is high tackle that first then move on to next which could be expansion tank and last it could be pipes are not strapped in the wall.
    Ben's Plumbing
    100 E Center St, Provo, UT 84604
    (801) 850-9087 ‎http://www. benjaminfranklinplumbing.com

What I would certainly do is to check the location of the water heater. See if there's a small white expansion tank in any location. If not, have one installed with possibly (but not mandatory) a potable water air scoop. Air in the line can cause banging along with massive influxes in thermal expansion. Both these items could possibly help.

One simple thing you can do is close the supply valves down about half way or more. It will take longer to fill the washer, but it will increase the effectiveness of the water hammer arresters. Since the front loaders use less water, they might have a smaller fill valve so you will want the supply valve to be the same or less than the fill valve to reduce pressure in the supply lines.