+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Gas furnace in living area?

I know it might not be as aesthetically pleasing, but why close the furnace in a closet, it's a laundry room?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I know it might not be as aesthetically pleasing, but why close the furnace in a closet, it's a laundry room?

Jack
    ...well...I guess I thought about enclosing it so it would be aesthetically pleasing. But, you make a great point. It's not supposed to be a really nice room anyways.

While it is a bit of effort, I like modifying the laundry room. It gets it off the corridor from the side door and clears that up some.
    The new room especially if the door is changed out to half glass will be nicer to do laundry in or iron clothes, etc. My laundry room is on the first floor with a decent window and is much more pleasant to use than the basement room in my previous house. Not actually putting a door on the furnace area wouldn't bother me, but enclosing it isn't a bad thing either. It isolates some of the noise and neatens up the room.

Don't get off track with aesthetics and what nots, have it checked out by a reputable HVAC Co. or do the calculations yourself (per dobbs links) and save yourself headaches down the road.

I didn't notice an air filter, do you have a single whole house return? It doesn't matter as to the original post, just wondering.
    Last edited by Sten; 02-28-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    ...I didn't notice an air filter, do you have a single whole house return? It doesn't matter as to the original post, just wondering.
    Yes...there are two returns, one upstairs and one down...the filter is actually at the bottom of the furnace, where the main return trunk line enters the furnace. Weird, I know.