+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Foam insulation

Default Foam insulation

What kind of foam is the spray foam that was shown where it is sprayed, then the worker shaves it off even with the studs for a flat surface? When I call around to try to find out about this, no one says they do it.

It was aired on today's show at 11:30 central time on WNIN.
    Last edited by cfair; 02-18-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Default Re: Foam insulation

spray foam isnt supposed to be installed so its proud of the studs and then shaved.. that was how it was done when it first came out.. however with todays foams they can achieve a proper r-value and still below the face of hte stud

if you see an installer spraying so much that it is proud.. their ripping you off.. they get paid on the volume of foam they spray in a day...then they have to waste time and material at your cost to cut it back
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Hmmm. I have seen it air twice on TOH. Have also talked to a home owner that has it both ways and he likes the foam that had to be shaved when done. I would still like to find out what kind of foam that it is that used for this as I would like to do this to the workshop that I will be building.

Can't be sure, but TOH used to use Icynene insulation a lot in the past. They promoted on a couple of projects.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/p...5779-4,00.html

Thank you, that is all I was looking for, the name of the foam so I can look for someone in our area that sprays it and hopefully will spray it the way I want it done.

You really should be looking for open cell or closed cell spray foam. The closed cell would be preferred because you get twice the R value per inch and it becomes a vapor retarder at thicknesses greater than 2".

i am speaking from experience and as a professional working in the construction industry. our company has spray foam insulation installed all the time. we used icynene on 3 straight jobs and all 3 times their method created problems.. not only were they wasting the homeowners money by spraying all the extra foam which just gets sent to he land fill. also as the foam expands it has enough strength to bow and distort framing.. by overspraying in the way you want it will cause plumb end walls to bow which leads to a wall thats no longer straight. also we've had to deal with installers with this company that did not properly mask off finished floors, electrical outlets and plumbing. on one such job they didnt bother masking off water feeds that had yet to be connected, the foam made its way 10 ft up the water pipe which meant opening up walls on the next floor so the plumber could replace the pipes. this mess up was $4000 to fix which was back billed to the insulator. i know about them "being paid by how much they spray" as we cornered one of the installers and asked why they are spraying so much

all that is needed in a 2x6 (actually 5.5") is 4" of foam to achieve a r-value of r-28. this is the correct way to install foam, icynene is the only company that oversprays and trims the foam back. locally 2 lb foam is $3.75 / sq ft, 4 lb foam is upwards of $5 / sq ft, just over three times the cost of a fibreglass batt install
    Last edited by jkirk; 02-18-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Agreed...most people will never see the return on investment with open-cell spray foam