+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pergola support

Default Pergola support

I would like to put a pergola along the south facing wall of my house. The rafter tales are about 7ft from ground level and the roof is tile. If I put a ledger board on the house, the pergola would be too low to walk under. I do not want a tunnel. What other options do I have to support this side of the pergola without using posts? I have considerd fabricating steel supports that mount to the house/rafter tail and extending above the roof line. Has anyone done this? Any links to a how-to, specs, etc? The pergola would be about 3-4 feet wide to cover a walkway and shade the house. Any suggestions/help? I cnnot find anything on the internet that does not entail using a ledger board.

Default Re: Pergola support

Howdy tie into the rafter tails adding weight is a bad choice without posts to support it all.
    If you then add a vine an added water or snow load maybe you will suffer a collapse. You might consider to have metal supports pipes/posts an pipe instead of wood to create a long span an little & visual , post impact. Think building permit- find how little loading rafter tails is allowed.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

You can do a single-post pergola...just re-size the joists to whatever length you'd like. I will submit an image soon...

I don't believe it can be done the way you want it. It needs supports.

You could use the existing rafter tails to support vertical posts if you have enough structure there and with a tile roof this is probably your best bet. Just think the loading through and use enough supports to cover that. I'd use some heavy-duty mending plates with screws to make the rafter-post joint with one on either side of every joint.

Phil