+ Reply to Thread

Default What's on the Wall?

We recently decided to strip the wallpaper in the small office room of our pre-1900 era house. Upon starting to strip the wallpaper we realized that there was something odd under two of the walls in the room. Two of the walls had a large square (about window size) of some type of adhesive looking material that was on the plaster under the wallpaper (see pictures). One of these squares had a layer of an aluminum foil type material between the wall and the wallpaper. Upon removal of all of the wallpaper we noticed that both spots looked somewhat different but were similar shape and both ran brown streaks down the wall when wet (in this case with the DIF we used for the wallpaper removal). I cleaned both with a bleach solution and the general color of both squares did not change. The differences between the squares are that they are different shades of brown and one has sporadic spots of dark brown to black putty material throughout it. Can anyone tell what these are and/or how to possibly remove it? The color has us perplexed and I wanted to paint the walls and that clearly can't be done until this problem is solved.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: What's on the Wall?

A fly or more likelee a spider. LOL
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

The pics are too unclear to be usefull. Think the file size is too big!

Could be the ruminates of old murals.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

When you converted the images to PDF, it compressed them too much so as to leave it looking like an impressionist painting seen through the bottom of a pint beer cup after several refills.

Since this forum doesn't allow attachments until you've made 10 posts, can you post the pictures to an 0nline hosting site, and provide us a link?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I'm dying to see clearer pictures...its like a murder mystery!