+ Reply to Thread

Angry Proper Installation of Vinyl Siding

We had our vinyl siding replaced due to hail damage. At certain times (depending on weather conditions) there are gaps/bulges at joints (see attached). The contractor is telling us this is normal, but I am not buying that. We had no such problems with the predecessor vinyl siding in the roughly 15 years we had it. I have pictures but the files are too large to attach. Would be happy to forward them to anyone who would like to comment.

Default Re: Proper Installation of Vinyl Siding

what do you mean by gaps and bulges? can you actually see the house wrap or foam underneath. and as for the bulges it sounds like some sheets may have been installed too tight
    fire up the saw and make some dust

You can e-mail pictures to me at jackson_l_mcdaniel@yahoo.com .
    Include TOH pics in the subject line and your TOH name and I I will post them for you.

Two possible cause could be 1-the siding was improperly installed, that is to tight or with the nails driven all the way in or 2-they used the cheapest light weight siding they could find.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It's definately installation error. The proof of a problem is that the existing work doesn't do this. Contact the supplier of the siding and ask them to give you contact info for a manufacturer rep. They will send someone out to inspect the job for free because they do not want people thinking their product is bad. When they find the problem have them put it in writing and have a word with the installer about what they discovered and what they want done to set it right. Be sure that you are there to watch them when they do the repairs to ensure that this time they do it right since they obviously do not know that now.

Phil

good call on mentioning having a rep come out. doing this can also provide defense against the company getting a bad rap about their product when its actually the installers fault
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I learned of that 'trick' when bad things happened and lawyers became involved with a competitors work. I just happened to be siding the house next door when the Rep came out. He saw our work and said it was excellent. We talked about the flaws in the other house's siding, then he asked if we'd like to attend a free training course from his company- which he said was necessary for a third-party to be covered under their warranty- so we obliged. I even got hooked up with his dealer and a credit line after that!

Since then I've discovered that almost every company that supplies materials has a specific Rep for situations like this, and their advice has been a great source of education for me. If you pick their brain the way I do, at least buy them lunch- these guys usually get undeserved blame for installer errors and they can use some relief from that!

Phil