+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default festool track saw

I am thinking of buying the festool track saw. I am a man who likes to buy high end as you really do get what you pay for in tools. Anybody have one of these and if so any suggestions/problems?
    I do cut a lot of plywood and I just never feel comfortable using table saws!
    Thank you
    Last edited by joeybagofdonuts; 02-24-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Default Re: festool track saw

This saw will make your life easier cutting full sheets of plywood and OSB. I don't have one, I can do whatever this saw does with my Makita. Anyway, it goes for around $500-600.

I do have one and it is well worth the money.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It's a nice saw. Variable speed, which is unusual. The blades are proprietary, and expensive.
    We have one at work. Hilti makes a similar model, also fits the Festool guide/track. Not quite as good; we had both for a while, IIRC the boss sold the Hilti.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

What is so proprietary about their blades. The best I cna tell is that they have an uncommon bore size. You should be able to get any blade re-punched by your local sharpening service.

They have quite a variety of specialized blades, but they only fit that saw.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I do have one and it is well worth the money.

Jack
    you lucky bugger,, they sell them at lee valley here now.. i really really want one. way easier to carry around compared to my table saw. now just to get $700
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Yes I agree guys. I usually buy Dewalt but Festool does seem to have the market cornered with their track saws. You all made a great points about the blades and the cost. Sounds familiar when I bought the Fein multitool. The blades will drain your pockets faster than your women with your Mastercard at the mall!

Joe
    Last edited by joeybagofdonuts; 02-26-2012 at 09:30 AM.

honestly if your going to invest in a track saw the festool is the way to go especially since they invented it. the dewalt is much bigger and clunky. from the guys i know who have used it they werent exactly blown away by the dewalt. also locally the price difference between the dewalt and festool isnt that much considering. the makita is also available here, but havent heard to much about it

as for the multitool, the fein was the only one on the market up until about 2 or 3 years ago when the north amerian patent ran out. i have the corded bosch as well as the cordless rigid... the bosch is the only real competition for the fein. regarding blades, yes they are expensive but there are ****** resources that you can use to buy the blades in bulk, it works out so saving big $$$, i can get 3 blades for what 1 bosch blade costs locally from this site

http://www.multiblades.com/index.html
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thank you for the info! I never heard of that site before and I had checked it out. The prices are a lot better than the one I was going to before. Plus, they are made in the USA. That is always good!

Joe